Autopilot Cell replacement. Which cell??

May 5, 2013
Hi,

I have a autopilot total control system which has been running great for several years now. My current cell is an SC-48 which lasted a little over 3 years and now seems to be in need of replacement (high voltage with low amps despite cleaning and a fair amount of wear on outer blades leading edge).

My question is which replacement cell should I get? My main goal is to replace as infrequently as possible. Looking at aquacals FAQ they state the sc-48 will produce 300lbs chlorine and the sc-60 will produce 575. Does that mean I can reasonably expect the sc-60 cell to last twice as long? Or do you need to have the pool sized appropriately for the cell? My pool is "only" 20,000 gal (should I really be getting the sc-36)

Thanks
Paul

I can answer part of your question. Advice generally given here is that you should get a cell rated for at least twice the size of your pool if and when possible. That matches what my pool builder spec'd for my pool as well.

I believe the sc60 would last longer than the sc48 (my cell), but would like confirmation that it would a linear increase.

I've got everything in the recommended ranges. The only issue I've had is the PH meter went out of calibration and it took awhile for me to notice so the generator was on for a lot of the winter (ORP is related to PH) which I'm sure wasn't good for the lifespan.

I'd like to hear what Jason says about the lifespan

Thanks
P

The larger cell will last longer but AutoPilot has changed the cells to RC-42 and RC-52. I see the 42 is about $280 and the 52 is $380 and I believe they are now rated 42,000 and 52,000 gallons. The 52 will generate more chlorine in a shorter period of time so you can reduce the pump run time if you have long run times to generate enough chlorine. If you don't have any issues like that then the 42 might be the best priced for the amount of chlorine it will generate in its life span.

Actually, if you look at autopilots faq the rc-42 should produce 300lbs of chlorine over its life while the 52 is 575lbs. Assuming no other factors to selectively decrease the lifespan of the rc-52 you get almost twice as much chlorine for a 35% increase in price. :D

P

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.