Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Autopilot Cell replacement. Which cell??

1. Back To Top    #1

Autopilot Cell replacement. Which cell??

Hi,

I have a autopilot total control system which has been running great for several years now. My current cell is an SC-48 which lasted a little over 3 years and now seems to be in need of replacement (high voltage with low amps despite cleaning and a fair amount of wear on outer blades leading edge).

My question is which replacement cell should I get? My main goal is to replace as infrequently as possible. Looking at aquacals FAQ they state the sc-48 will produce 300lbs chlorine and the sc-60 will produce 575. Does that mean I can reasonably expect the sc-60 cell to last twice as long? Or do you need to have the pool sized appropriately for the cell? My pool is "only" 20,000 gal (should I really be getting the sc-36)

Thanks
    Paul
    20K ,in-ground cement (pebble tek) with attached spa, Sand filter (model triton Tr-100, area-4.9 sqft, flow 100 gal/min), Pentair WhisperFlo Pump 1.5 HP Model WFE-26, Total control SWG, pool is old (around 30 years)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Autopilot Cell replacement. Which cell??

I can answer part of your question. Advice generally given here is that you should get a cell rated for at least twice the size of your pool if and when possible. That matches what my pool builder spec'd for my pool as well.

I believe the sc60 would last longer than the sc48 (my cell), but would like confirmation that it would a linear increase.
    Fayetteville, NY -17K gal, IG vinyl, Hayward SP2300VSP Max-Flo Variable Speed Pump, FlowVis Flow Meter, Sand filter
    Self designed Arduino powered automation for pump and solar control, Solar Attic Pool Heater, AutoPilot Digital SWG, TF100

3. Back To Top    #3

The larger cell will definitely last longer in general. If teh swg is set up properly and the TFP method is used, the longeviety can be stretched well beyond its life expectancy.

http://www.troublefreepool.com/conte...generators-swg
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

4. Back To Top    #4

I've got everything in the recommended ranges. The only issue I've had is the PH meter went out of calibration and it took awhile for me to notice so the generator was on for a lot of the winter (ORP is related to PH) which I'm sure wasn't good for the lifespan.

I'd like to hear what Jason says about the lifespan

Thanks
    P
    20K ,in-ground cement (pebble tek) with attached spa, Sand filter (model triton Tr-100, area-4.9 sqft, flow 100 gal/min), Pentair WhisperFlo Pump 1.5 HP Model WFE-26, Total control SWG, pool is old (around 30 years)

5. Back To Top    #5

The larger cell will last longer but AutoPilot has changed the cells to RC-42 and RC-52. I see the 42 is about $280 and the 52 is $380 and I believe they are now rated 42,000 and 52,000 gallons. The 52 will generate more chlorine in a shorter period of time so you can reduce the pump run time if you have long run times to generate enough chlorine. If you don't have any issues like that then the 42 might be the best priced for the amount of chlorine it will generate in its life span.
    16k gal plaster with raised spa, Jandy DEV60 filter, 2 HP 2-speed SHPF Jandy Stealth pump
    Hayward Aqua Rite T-15 SWCG, Jandy LXi 400k BTU NG heater, 350 sq.ft. of Sun Star solar panels, TF-100 Test Kit, Dolphin s300i Cleaner
    Test Kits . Pool Math . Chlorine/CYA Chart . The SLAM Process

6. Back To Top    #6

Actually, if you look at autopilots faq the rc-42 should produce 300lbs of chlorine over its life while the 52 is 575lbs. Assuming no other factors to selectively decrease the lifespan of the rc-52 you get almost twice as much chlorine for a 35% increase in price.

P

7. Back To Top    #7

Found that info, thanks! I would opt for the rc-52 cell as it calculates to be the best deal.
    16k gal plaster with raised spa, Jandy DEV60 filter, 2 HP 2-speed SHPF Jandy Stealth pump
    Hayward Aqua Rite T-15 SWCG, Jandy LXi 400k BTU NG heater, 350 sq.ft. of Sun Star solar panels, TF-100 Test Kit, Dolphin s300i Cleaner

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by ping View Post
    Found that info, thanks! I would opt for the rc-52 cell as it calculates to be the best deal.
    No problemo. If its ok to ask, where did you see the rc-52 for 380?

9. Back To Top    #9

This may get delete...not sure if it is allowed. SaltPoolGuys.com has it for $445, then a $50 old cell trade in rebate for your SC48.
    Fayetteville, NY -17K gal, IG vinyl, Hayward SP2300VSP Max-Flo Variable Speed Pump, FlowVis Flow Meter, Sand filter
    Self designed Arduino powered automation for pump and solar control, Solar Attic Pool Heater, AutoPilot Digital SWG, TF100

10. Back To Top    #10

Thanks

11. Back To Top    #11

SaltPoolGuys.com is the place to get anything dealing with AutoPilot and JoshU is very supportive of the forum. Do a JoshU search.