How often to adjust pH?

Mindflux

LifeTime Supporter
May 7, 2014
Pflugerville, TX
My pH was 7.5-7.8 this Saturday when I tested. I just tested it 30 mins ago and it appears to be 8 or maybe 8.2 (these color comparisons kill me)

My pool has a built in spa that overflows so I imagine that's doing aeration.

I would think it would be ideal to try and keep the pH steady, so I need to adjust daily? Weekly?

Good news is my FC seemed to test around 5 (again hard to tell, wasn't using FAS-DPD)... last I tested it was 1-2 but I've also bumped the CYA up.

Seems like I may end burning through a good bit of MA....
I have a sheer waterfall that runs anytime the pump is on. I haven't paid close attention, but I would say i go through a bottle about every two to three weeks.

I tend to test every two to three days. With the Stenner pump adding the bleach, all I ever need to add is MA.

Alright I added a cup this morning after I kicked the pumps on manually (they don't come on until after I leave for work and I have an event tonight keeping me from adding this evening).

It's probably enough to get it under 8 for now. I'll have to test tomorrow morning or evening.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm adding about 2 cups MA per day versus 1/2 gal every 3-7 days. Less highs and lows, now just maintaining 7.6-7.8. Reducing your sheers time, if you have valves/plumbing, will help too.
My 2cts. Good luck!

What do you mean by sheers time?

So as I said I added a cup of MA today. One thing I keep forgetting is to pour it in 18" from the wall, does that matter all that much? I'm usually 6-10 inches away in front of a jet when I pour it in? Is there some reasoning for 18 or so inches?

I would think closer to the jet the more concentrated stream to start pushing it into the pool.

I just add it at arms length to keep the fumes as far from me as possible and it has little chance of coming in to contact with the pool edge. The return water should distribute it quickly.

If you do not know this, you can test the pH 30 minutes after adding acid and make more adjustments if required.

Post your other test results as there could be other factors causing the pH to rise.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
That's also how I do it, arms length to keep it away from the pool edge and so the concentration isn't really high near the plaster at that area, since I always dump my chems in at the same return.

I also have a spa that spills over into the pool and noticed that my PH rises significantly when the spa returns are full on causing the water to waterfall over the spillway. I usually try to turn the spa returns on so that there is barely a trickle going over the spillway, like running down the wall instead of waterfalling over it. Seems my PH stays more stable like that.

That's also how I do it, arms length to keep it away from the pool edge and so the concentration isn't really high near the plaster at that area, since I always dump my chems in at the same return.

I also have a spa that spills over into the pool and noticed that my PH rises significantly when the spa returns are full on causing the water to waterfall over the spillway. I usually try to turn the spa returns on so that there is barely a trickle going over the spillway, like running down the wall instead of waterfalling over it. Seems my PH stays more stable like that.

I would have to adjust my actuator I guess to get the overflow to flow less? Not sure I want to muck with that myself. My spa returns aren't "full on" though, I think the valve might be cracked open a quarter of the way. They're "full on" when I have it in spa mode though.

- - - Updated - - -

If you do not know this, you can test the pH 30 minutes after adding acid and make more adjustments if required.

Yes ! I do know that. Thanks for the reminder however.

Here are my numbers I posted the other day before adjusting my PH and CYA:

FC: 1-2
PH: Over 8.2 (I'm working on this)
TA: 120
CYA: 30
CH: 450
Salt: 2800

Since then I've upped my CYA (waiting to test though), dropped my PH and my FC was more like 4 or 5 last night by the OTO FC test.

I would have to adjust my actuator I guess to get the overflow to flow less? Not sure I want to muck with that myself. My spa returns aren't "full on" though, I think the valve might be cracked open a quarter of the way. They're "full on" when I have it in spa mode though.

If the valves are automated then I wouldn't know exactly how to do it. I usually have the spa drain cracked open to keep flow there and then also adjust my Jandy valve for the spa return until it is barely trickling down the wall into the pool. I just keep enough flow to keep things moving. If I want the spa on when the kids are in then I turn it open. If I want bubbles then I turn the Jandy to close off the pool returns a bit and the passive air injector starts to bubble as the water flows past and creates a vacuum.

Lower the TA to 70 and the pH rise should significantly slow down.

Depending on the CYA level, don't let the FC drop too low. Our recommendations, Chlorine CYA Chart.

I have manual valves so it is easy for me to adjust the spa to a trickle. I have a check valve that is in parallel with the spa return valve and I just crack open the check valve so a little water is always flowing to the spa. I leave my spa suction valve closed until I'm using the spa. I'm not sure how to adjust valves that have automation.

Lower the TA to 70 and the pH rise should significantly slow down.

Depending on the CYA level, don't let the FC drop too low. Our recommendations, Chlorine CYA Chart.

I have manual valves so it is easy for me to adjust the spa to a trickle. I have a check valve that is in parallel with the spa return valve and I just crack open the check valve so a little water is always flowing to the spa. I leave my spa suction valve closed until I'm using the spa. I'm not sure how to adjust valves that have automation.

Best way to lower TA? Drop pH and aerate and rinse/repeat as necessary?

Once TA is lower it shouldn't creep back up?

Re: How often to adjust pH? ANS: When it needs it!

If your having quick PH rise it's because something is out of whack. Recommend you follow Ping's advice and lower TA. When you get your TA value down you may want to add Borates.

I adjust my PH every 2-3 weeks.

Re: How often to adjust pH? ANS: When it needs it!

If your having quick PH rise it's because something is out of whack. Recommend you follow Ping's advice and lower TA. When you get your TA value down you may want to add Borates.

I adjust my PH every 2-3 weeks.

I have a spa that overflows into the pool as well as spa jets. So my pool aerates the entire time the pumps run. Hopefully once I get TA down I can adjust less often though.

So I have exactly the same problem as the initial poster. I too have a waterfall from the spa to the pool.

My TA is smack at 75, with CYA back up to near 70 probably (added a load on Friday). I also added 11 boxes of Borax on Friday (with associated acid).

The pool LOOKS amazing since the borax BUT seems I have that my pH issue is no better. It wants to sit at 7.8 and I constantly bring it down to 7.5 with about 20 fl oz of acid every 2 days.

Saw the post that said they re-balance every 2-3 weeks? I would like to know if there are any Salt water pool owners out there, with waterfalls from Spa that don't add acid every couple of days?

Thanks,

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.