Confused by the FC CC test directions for the Taylor 2006

faithv

Aug 12, 2014
Valparaiso IN
Hi,
I'm very new to my pool which came with our new house. We opened the pool in August (I know bad idea) and there was dark green algae so I hit it with unscientific amounts of bleach. I'm muddling around trying to figure out the proper way to do.... everything.
I've bought the Taylor 2006. I don't understand the note in the chlorine test that says "For one drop = 0.2 ppm use 25mL sample. For one drop = 0.5 ppm use 10mL" How can I figure out what one drop equals???

My pH is 7.2. Can I do an accurate CYA since I over bleached the pool last week? The pool is mostly cloudy but the shallow side I can see settled dead algae which I vacuum up.

Thanks

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

For the FAS-DPD, use 10ml of water in your vial. Then each drop you count is 0.5ppm. No need for more accuracy than that by using the 25ml of water.

The CYA test is not affected by the FC level. You should test everything and post up the numbers.

Take a look at the Extended Test Instructions or the youtube videos at tftestkits.net for help with the testing.

Your FC is low for CYA of 100. Go to pool school on this site and there is a chart that will show you the FC you néed with your high CYA. To get your CYA down, you will need to drain about half your pool water.

- - - Updated - - -

Do the diluted CYA test as described in those extended instructions to find out how high the CYA really is and how much water you need to replace.

True....it could be quite a hit higher than 100!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.