Robotic Cleaner Options

telseg

Sep 15, 2013
Bellmore, NY
I have a 12500 Gallon Oval Semi-Inground Pool with a 6' deep end. I have been considering a robotic cleaner and have seen them advertised for both inground and aboveground pools. I have not been able to find the difference between the cleaners under these two categories other than the fact the the above ground cleaners appear to be less expensive and lighter duty. Im assuming that I would probably purchase something that is geared for an inground pool since I have a deep end. I just want to make sure my assumption is correct. Also, does it make sense to get something that also cleans the pool walls? I know these typically cost a bit more, but if it adds value I my opt to buy one with this feature.

Hello,
I've got a Smart pool Nitro, that has had it's issues, I've used my double the manufactures warranty through the credit card twice (once on the origional unit, then on the second one). The units are relatively inexpensive (can be found at $300). It's not a true wall climbing model but does a decent job overall. When this unit dies I'm looking at replacing it with a Dolphin model. They're about $600.

What ever unit you decide to get use a credit card that has "double the manufacturers warranty". It's well worth it!
My Saga:
http://www.troublefreepool.com/threads/34197-Smart-Pool-Nitro-SmartKleen-Universal-Review
http://www.troublefreepool.com/thre...ssed-into-1-minute?highlight=smart+pool+nitro

I had a pressure side cleaner for a few years (Polaris 380). Over time I grew tired of higher electric bills from having to run a booster pump, tired of having to clean the debris filter screen what seemed like almost daily, and sick of seeing the Polaris occasionally fly around the pool even though I knew the adjustments were spot on. Regardless, all of that I could stomach if it was an exceptional cleaner. But, aside from doing a good job when leaves were aplenty, it was marginal at best IMO.

A few months ago I, and our wallet, swallowed hard and bought a Dolphin Z5 robotic cleaner. Can't say enough good things about it. Top loading cartridge filtration seems to pick up things that even the eye can't detect. Very easy to clean the filters and pop 'em back in for another go. Scrubs the waterline nicely, negligible difference in electric bill, and picks up more leaves than you'd think it would. I recently had several large trees removed from our backyard and as a result there was a ton of sawdust in the pool. I sent the Dolphin on its merry way, and in a few hours it had it all up. The cartridges were bursting at the seam by that point, but all the dust was there in the shape of a big brick....so it will do a dirty pool if need be. My normal routine is to run it every other day or so, and clean the filters after 3 cycles. Works well for me that way.

After the initial hit on the pocketbook, it's all good IMO. I won't ever go back to a non-robotic.

My blue diamond robotic got thrown in after hurricane Wilma hit us and took down our two story screen enclosure. It picked up nails and a lot of other stuff, cleaned up the pool real nice. They will pick up a lot more than you think. Ripped the brushes up pretty good though.

Hello,
I've got a Smart pool Nitro, that has had it's issues, I've used my double the manufactures warranty through the credit card twice (once on the origional unit, then on the second one). The units are relatively inexpensive (can be found at $300). It's not a true wall climbing model but does a decent job overall. When this unit dies I'm looking at replacing it with a Dolphin model. They're about $600.

What ever unit you decide to get use a credit card that has "double the manufacturers warranty". It's well worth it!
My Saga:
http://www.troublefreepool.com/threads/34197-Smart-Pool-Nitro-SmartKleen-Universal-Review
http://www.troublefreepool.com/thre...ssed-into-1-minute?highlight=smart+pool+nitro

I have the Smartpool Kleenmachine model that was sold by Costco for $299, that I think is essentially the same model as the Nitro. I had to have it in for service once but it has worked great for me for 3 years. But 2 weeks ago, the motor began working intermittently. So I bought a Dolphin Primal X3 for $600 which is supposed to be identical to the M3 Nautilus but with an automatic daily timer and 2 year warranty. So far I have run it 4 times and I am not happy. The Smartpool cleaner would pick up everything. It did not clean the steps and did not go all the way up the walls, but other than that it would leave the bottom spotless. If the bottom was exceptionally dirty I might have to run it for two 2 hour cycles. The Dolphin, however, leaves a lot behind. The first time I ran it I was having a pool party in the afternoon and I ran it with the standard filters. It clouded up the pool because it did not trap the fine particles that it kicked up from the bottom. I understood why the second set of filters are included for fine filtration. It also left behind a significant amount of larger dirt particles that are very visible. It just rolls right over the dirt and does not pick it up. Perhaps there is something wrong with mine because it is hard to imagine the Dolphin line getting the good reviews it gets if people have to come behind it with a manual pool vac.

My Z5 scrubs all my tile line for me, so it means I don't have to do it manually. I've been very happy with it. It might be overkill for your pool though. I got mine at poolsupplyworld.com, they have a live chat on their site and might be able to help you pick the right cleaner for your pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.