A way to test the pump strainer?

Aug 18, 2014
Ellwood City PA
Hello Everyone,

I have short burst of air in my return jet, at a roughly 6 second interval. I have checked all of the connections on my Hayward Sandmaster and can't find a leak. I have taken the lid off the pump strainer, cleaned the basket, and lubricated it with the lube that was left with the pool for me. Jack's Multilube 327... assuming it was the right stuff. Due to the almost exact timing of the blast, and the amount of cavitation in the filter strainer, I suspected that it might be pulling air in through a whirlpool formed in the skimmer basket. I've interrupted this whirlpool both by slowing the water with my hand and introducing more water into the filter basket with a garden hose. It doesn't change the air burst at all. I'm assuming that this is a problem, and have become aware that it is abnormal through the search feature, but I think I've about exhausted the solutions that I've come across. About the only thing I haven't explored is the clamp holding the directional valve on the top of the filter, and actually replacing the O ring on the strainer basket. I believe it to be about 3 or 4 years-old. I want to make sure that I am not missing anything obvious.

If you have a whirlpool in the skimmer basket, you have an issue. Insufficient flow into the skimmer may be your problem. What size is your pump and how many skimmers/drains does your pool have?

It's 1.5 sq ft 38 GPM pump... I believe it has a 1.5 hp motor. I suspect that it is more than what an 18X4' Round AG needs... One of my coworkers has the same pump on a 29' round pool.

Probably a lot of pump for a single skimmer.

Assuming you still have standard AG hoses on your filter, watch the one that goes from the skimmer to the pump. They can compress due to suction and restrict flow. The cycling you see is a symptom of that. Put your hand on the hose to see if you can feel it start to collaps before the burst of air.

It is most definitely collapsed.. Right at the bottom or the skimmer basket. I didn't notice it collapsing in unison with the burst, but I will grab a hold of it and see what it feels like tonight. I'd like to plumb it in with PVC for next season as the hoses seem like a potential problem to me. A valve in between the skimmer and the pump would be really great. As it is now I had to shut the pump off and stick a full 2 liter bottle into the skimmer, upside down, to plug it up in order to remove the filter strainer cover.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.