Losing a 1/2" to a 1 inch in a couple days when waterfall is active from spa

Aug 16, 2014
Highland Village, TX
If this is posted in the wrong section, please let me know and i will move it to post appropriate.

I am new to salt water pools so my questions or responses may not be in industry jargon. Thanks for the understanding.

My pool is a fairly small pool, when i run the overflow out of the spa into the pool, i noticed i am losing water to the tune of about 1/2 inch to 1 inch every couple of days. I turned the spa overflow off and the pool does not lose any water. I marked this on the pool edge to check and confirm. The spa is holding water and does not drain down.

Could this be a old valve. I have only owned the pool for a year and have no problems other than replacing pump motors. Both have been replaced and are working fine. My pool guy does not work on pools only cleans.

Any suggestions would be appreciated or a starting point to determine cause and origin of leak when spa overflow is running.

It would have to be something with the plumbing/lines for the waterfall. Either a leak in a union, elbow or valve downstream from where the valve is that turns the waterfall flow on/off. That valve must not be leaking as when it is off, you don't lose water. Pictures of the area and plumbing never hurts. ;)

Replaced the pool check valves, this stopped the leak down of the spa into the pool. The pool is losing water to the tune of 1/2 inch to an inch a day when the spa overflow is running. Confirmed this through measuring the water level at the pool grate and with an evaporation test.

Re: Losing a 1/2" to a 1 inch in a couple days when waterfall is active from spa

I believe I have found the main source of the leak. Now for the fix? Suggestions would be appreciated. View attachment 32888View attachment 32889View attachment 32890

- - - Updated - - -

The leak appears to be under the overflow ledge on the right overflow ledge if standing in the spa. There is a crack and hole in the pool tec, or whatever that material is under the ledge on the left. Replaced both check valves and this stopped the leak down in the pool spa.

Losing a 1/2" over a couple of days can very well be evaporation especially when running the waterfall. Do you lose water in the hot tub when the pump is off. I've got the same configuration as you. Waterfalls or any water flow like a waterfall will cause more water to evaporate.

The hot tub leak down was resolved with replacing two check valves. I just noticed the pool is losing water to a 1/2 inch or so i decided to run a evaporation test. Well rained 7/10's of an inch last night so the test will run a little while longer. Trying to resolve any leaks or issues before the water is too cold to repair. The water fall spillover appears to have a crack and hole under the ledge. Trying to determine the best material to repair this area. Caulk or epoxy for a salt water pool is the question or a better material if possible? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.