Leak at pump junction

adrob2

Jul 9, 2014
Chapel Hill, NC
Found a small leak at the junction of of the 1.5" PVC where it exits my pump. It appears to be a threaded connection. Is it possible to simply unscrew the connection and either replace or add teflon tape and retighten? Or, should I plan to cut the PVC, remove the threaded connection, replace it and join it with a coupling or union? Haven't tried to unscrew it yet as I didn't want to damage it. Thanks for your advice!

I'd recommend pipe dope over tape. Make sure you get the kind that is intended for plastic pipe.

Whether you can unscrew depends on how the rest of your plumbing is done. It may just need tightening, but be careful. The pump can get cracked if you go overboard.

It depends on the fitting. Some are pipe threads and some are O ringed. My pump leaks at the same spot. If pipe thread then pipe compound or teflon tape will work. I'd still put in a union for ease of replacement or repair. I was in a hurry so I cut the pipe, wrapped it with teflon and then used a rubber butt fitting with clamps to reconnect the sawed in half pipe.
Have since taken it back apart and added a union.

Attachments

• Coupling PVC.jpg
    Coupling PVC.jpg
    6.1 KB · Views: 47
The guy at Lowe's recommended that I use the red Oatley's multipurpose cement to join the adapter and coupling and Rectorseal #5 as pipe dope on the threads going into the pump. I'm using 1.5" PVC schedule 40 pipe and coupling. Do these products sound reasonable or would you recommend something different?

Make sure your pump has a 1.5" port before you take things apart. Many pumps have 2" threaded inlets and outlets and you need a 2"male thread X 1.5" female slip coupler, which is not commonly found in hardware stores.

Ok, thanks JohnT. Where do you buy a 2-1.5" coupler? Online? I also noticed that the owner's manual for the pump contains a warning not to use plumber pipe dope as it can cause cracking of plastic components. The manual recommends teflon tape. Is this a common warning that can be ignored or something specific to my model and I should use teflon tape? It's a Hayward superpump, 1 hp, model SP2607X10. Thanks!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Ok, thanks JohnT. Where do you buy a 2-1.5" coupler? Online? I also noticed that the owner's manual for the pump contains a warning not to use plumber pipe dope as it can cause cracking of plastic components. The manual recommends teflon tape. Is this a common warning that can be ignored or something specific to my model and I should use teflon tape? It's a Hayward superpump, 1 hp, model SP2607X10. Thanks!

I think you have 1.5" fittings so you should be covered at local stores.

If the manual says tape, that's what I'd stick with I think. You can crack the housing, so don't tighten it more than you need to. Always makes me nervous installing threaded PVC fittings because I'm afraid it will leak or break.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.