Questions regarding SWG implications

Daltex

Jul 31, 2012
Dallas
I want to install a SWG and now have more questions regarding the implications of it.

First, I have an intelliflo pump and a basic trip switch timer. I have taken the trippers off for the pump since it needs full time electrical current.
The booster timer still runs the booster pump for the cleaner.
Question: Will the flow meter from the SWG be good enough to turn on and off the SWG to avoid hydrogen gas build up or do I need to install a automation system for this. If yes then does the SWG also have to be Pentair?

Second, the booster pump for the polaris is tapped into the return to the pool at the very last point above ground as the water returns to the pool. Will this need to be rerouted to tap prior to the SWG cell?

Thanks!!

The SWG should be the last piece of equipment in the return line, I would not run the high chlorinated water through the booster pump.

The SWG will not build up gas if the pump is running 24/7. With the pump running continuously the flow switch on the SWG will be enough to shut down the SWG if the flow is reduced to prevent the SWG from working properly.

You might not want a Pentair SWG since you do not have automation. Pentair's lowest output is 20% without automation and that might be too much chlorine in the cooler months. With automation the Pentair can be reduced by 1% increments.

My other concern is why are you running 24/7? Most pools need nowhere near this amount of run time.

Thanks for the reply.

Regarding the booster pump- I looked this morning and the booster pump supply tee is actually buried below grade so I guess I could just cap it off above ground and retap somewhere else.

I guess regarding the automation I was asking if I could go without using a controller at all but stop running my pump 24/7. I have a Pentair Intelliflo pump but just use the on board controller for the pump timing. Is it safe to just have the flow switch shut off the SWG when the pool pump stops?

Regarding the run time- I have had it running 24/7 because it only uses around 400 watts so really not close to noticeable on the electric bill. I can add my chems at night and it will circulate it. Problem is that the spa spill over raises the pH quite a bit so adding lots of MA.

Do a search to see how others have hooked up their SWG while using an Intelliflo pump as this question has been asked many times. I believe there are three basic ways to hook it up without relying on the flow switch. You should have the SWG tied in to the pump and not rely on the flow switch.

Is there a way you can just crack open the spa return so it only gets a small flow of water? This is the way I do it on mine and the water just trickles down the wall instead of "flowing" over it.

Thanks Ping. Feeling kinda stupid about the search as I had searched using lots of phrases and none matched what I needed. When I just entered- intelliflo swg-
with no quotes or other words it came up with a slew of threads related to it like you said. I'll read up and again I thank you for the advice.

Regarding the spa return, yes I can throttle back the flow but if the flow is low enough to not catch air then it doesn't circulate enough. It's not a big deal for me to just add some extra MA.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.