Apr 15, 2014
Livermore, CA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hi TFPers,
Will be going on vaca next week and did not need to see what I did this AM. I turned on my pool pump and did my testing & chem adding this AM. After, I was walking by my pool pump station when I noticed some water on the ground. I pulled back the gate to investigate further. Looks like I have a leak coming from the pump. It is leaking under that round housing that looks like a wheel. The leak is approx. 11 drops/min. Please look at the pics. Also, in my signature you will see the specs for my pump.

This is causing some stress b/c we will be going on vaca next week. Here are many of the questions going through my mind?

1. Is a leak from the pump normal (I really don't think it used to do this)?
2. Is this a sign it is going to fail?
3. How soon can I expect failure?
4. Should I just plan on replacing it sooner than later with a variable speed pump? (Months back I already briefly looked at the Pentair Intelliflo, which I guess is the same as the Sta-rite Intellipro).
5. If it needs to get replaced, I need to order it ASAP to get it installed so we can still plan on going on vaca. If it is not replaced, it is safe to go out of town with it in this condition?
6. Also, based on if the pump needs replacement, I am just assuming that the Pentair Intelliflo would be adequate for my needs. Could anyone comment if this pump would work for me? I have original solar panels (unknown when installed) on the roof of my single story home. Currently, it seems like the 3/4 HP pump we have now does the job to pump it to the panels at a slow enough rate to pickup the heat and also filter the pool water. I would have to defer to the installer of the Intelliflo for how it needs to be programmed.
7. Most likely I will be turning off the solar sometime in Sept. or Oct. Currently, it automatically opens/diverts water to the roof from about 10:00 am - 4 pm. If we go with the Intelliflo, do I need to buy a programmable control panel (like the Pentair Easy Touch) so that the solar and pump can communicate with each other? Clearly, I am clueless as to what I need.

Please help b/c I don't know how to proceed. Of course, this is hitting at the wrong time.

14938636076_8eb6e15c80.jpg

14774947940_2cd8f06cd7.jpg

Solar panels
14775665127_333982fd82.jpg

Solar actuator
14775671347_3cbfe84b21.jpg

Check out this link. This is what you'll need to do when you get home. http://www.inyopools.com/HowToPage/how_to_use_a_go_kit.aspx Replacing the housing gasket is likely what your problem is right now.

If you left town without repair, it is a risk that the leak may get worse quickly. If it were me... I'd get the pool level fairly high so that a small leak won't take you into dangerous territory and have a neighbor look and listen each day while gone.

Here is your illustrated parts break down. http://www.inyopools.com/pool_parts_pentair_pac_fab_challenger.aspx

Tx JVTrain.

Would you recommend inyopools as a good site to purchase pool related stuff from?

Is it wiser to just replace the pump with a variable speed, or buy and install a seal kit?

Seems like I would be throwing new money at an old pump, even if it means replacing the seals. But, maybe that is the easiest route to buy me some time so we can go on vaca.

Inyopools has great documentation and selection. I haven't needed to buy parts from them directly yet but based on the support available, I'd be comfortable recommending them without direct ordering experience. You could look on other websites as well. I think the part you need right now, if the leak is in the location I think you described, the part is $19. I'd say it's worth trying that part even on an older pump. It's cheap. If that's not it or you're really ready for a new pump, I'd try the repair first but that's just my point of view.

It doesn't look like a tough fix. I would first try to crank on the thumb wheel a little more to see if that stops it. If not then I'm sure you can find a replacement gasket nearby at a pool store and it would be worth it to me to spend 10 mins. and $20.00 to not have to deal with it while preparing for a trip.

I have the intelliflo and it will dial down to a trickle so should be able to get it dialed in for whatever flow rate you require. To have it replaced in a rush you will pay more and won't be there to make sure it's set up to run like it should for a few days. That would be my biggest concern.

Inyopools is a good source. Prices are reasonable and lowest in some cases when you factor in free shipping. They ship via UPS and their delivery date prediction is accurate. I have used 2 day shipping on emergency parts and that worked well too.

Tx you all.

Sounds like going the replacement part route is best right now. I greatly appreciate the info on InyoPools.com. It's great to be able to visualize that diagram. Problem is, even though I feel competent to be able to do some minor pools things, this stuff is all new to me as this is my 1st pool. Cleaning my pool filters was a big thing to me back in May. Even though one of you described this as a short 20 min. fix, I am sure it would take me quite some time. Lookng at what InyoPools shows in their step-by-step process, there are quite a bit of steps. Sounds like the part is very inexpensive. I will try to crank down the dial more. I assume you are referring to the dial on top of the "motor wheel" like thing? With my concerns of getting it right and the time it will take me, I am contemplating just going the route of the pool service tech.

Yesterday I cranked down the clamp bolt more and that has seemed to help. Now there is just minor seepage underneath the stainless steel ring. I think it could be good enough like this until I get back, and then keep monitoring it or get someone out to replace those parts. Unless, I keep reviewing the info at Inyo pools and feel like I could do it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.