Pentair Intellichlor IC40

Aug 18, 2014
Chico
I installed a Pentair Intellichlor IC40 this year. It was working fine for the first few months. It is now not working. All lights show that it is working but it is not generating chlorine. My salt level is 3200 and all other chemistry is good. Pentair warranty is 60 days because I did the install myself. How do I trouble shoot this? I hate to buy another cell....

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

How do you know it is not generating chlorine? What have you done to prove that?

Often when people make these claims, in reality either their CYA is too low and the sun is destroying the FC as fast as the SWG makes it or there is something growing in the pool consuming the FC faster than that SWG makes it.

Post up a full set of test results.

Please add your pool details to your signature as described HERE as it will help us help you in the future.

I tested the water after the cell by loosening the fitting and did not get any chlorine there. I did shock the pool and the chlorine went to zero after that. Yesterday I had the water tested and this is what it was:
FAC-0
TAC-0
Salt-3200
CH-310
TA-220
pH-8 (added acid after this)
PHO- 2500 (added phos-free)

Thanks for any help in advance!

I am not familiar with the Intellichlor, but what are the lights and readings on the SWG? Are you sure when you tested the water it was in generating mode and not between cycles?

What does your water look like?
What is the CYA?

With 0FC for prolonged periods of time, I would suggest following the ShockLevelAndMAINTAIN Process which requires investment in one of the Recommended Test Kits. Once the pool is proven to be free of organics, then troubleshoot the SWG.

How much Pool School have you read? Start with these:
ABCs of Water Chemistry
Recommended Pool Chemicals
How to Chlorinate Your Pool
Water Balance for SWGs

Here are my answers to your questions:

I am not familiar with the Intellichlor, but what are the lights and readings on the SWG? Are you sure when you tested the water it was in generating mode and not between cycles? The lights are all showing green. Meaning is shows flow, chlorine generation and good salt level.

What does your water look like? Right now the water looks cloudy. I am also having an issue with DE coming out of my filter. I am opening that up tonight.
What is the CYA? 65

I'll follow the rest of the advice you gave in reading and the SLAM process. I have a bunch of Girl Scouts coming this weekend so I need to get the pool cleaned up! :)

Where are those test results from?

At this point, your waters health is quite confusing. You show very high pH, very high alkalinity and you used PhosFree. All if those things combined can lead to Calcium precipitation from your water and cloudiness. Or, you could have a serious algae bloom about to start.

I have an IC40 and when I was on the verge of an algae bloom, it could not keep up and my FC went down to 1ppm. I sincerely doubt your SWG has failed, that would be a fourth or fifth item on the list of reasons for low FC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.