High CYA

lion22

Aug 13, 2014
Monticello MN
Hello to all. I have high CYA (128 on Saturday, but I plan on getting numbers again today). I have read all the pool school stuff, several times, and plan on several more to better absorb all. All articles are VERY informative, thanks! My questions for now are:

I know I need to do a drain/refill. We have a pool with 2 shallow ends with steps on both ends. When our pool guy closes our pool we normally drain to the top of the bottom step. Would this logic apply to this drain/refill? Also, does the refill water go in thru the skimmers, the pool itself, or doesn't matter? Also2, what valves get turned off? I would assume the 2 skimmers at a minimum to isolate the deep end main drain (not sure about the returns)?

Presently, I am using pool store Bioguard readouts until i get my own kit. Are these numbers at least "in the ballpark" for now? I realize these tests are dependent upon the person conducting them. We use a small, family run place and I have known the person who does the test and always use him only since it's not a "get you out fast/sell you what you don't need kinda place". Just want to get the ball rolling, but I can hold off if need be.

As for the pool itself, kinda treading water (no pun intended, well maybe a little, lol) for now. The FC has been zero for weeks now. The water is clear, perhaps a bit dull. We had some visible algae which I thought we handled, but when I brush I can see "dust" moving around so it may still be lurking. Based on numbers I got Saturday, I added dry acid yest afternoon to lower the pH (8), and liq chl (12.5%) last nite to try to up the level. We did use Tri tabs, but what remains of them will soon be dissolved. We are switching to liquid chl, and liq acid once the dry stuff is gone.

If other info is needed pls let me know. Thanks so much in advance for your time/assistance! I'm SO looking forward to getting this under control, rather than me under its spell, lol.

Welcome, fellow Minnesotan! :wave:

Hello to all. I have high CYA (128 on Saturday, but I plan on getting numbers again today). I have read all the pool school stuff, several times, and plan on several more to better absorb all. All articles are VERY informative, thanks! My questions for now are:

I know I need to do a drain/refill. We have a pool with 2 shallow ends with steps on both ends. When our pool guy closes our pool we normally drain to the top of the bottom step. Would this logic apply to this drain/refill? Also, does the refill water go in thru the skimmers, the pool itself, or doesn't matter? Also2, what valves get turned off? I would assume the 2 skimmers at a minimum to isolate the deep end main drain (not sure about the returns)?

Safely drain down to a level where you have just under a foot of water covering the shallowest area of your liner. The idea is to drain as much as possible to lower CYA but not allow your liner to shift or wrinkle. When you close your pool, the rule is 3-4" below your returns. Any more than that is more cautious than need be or your pool guys knowledge coming through if you've been using Trichlor all summer. The more water you drain when closing, the lower the CYA goes, the longer you can squeek by on pucks the next summer

Presently, I am using pool store Bioguard readouts until i get my own kit. Are these numbers at least "in the ballpark" for now? I realize these tests are dependent upon the person conducting them. We use a small, family run place and I have known the person who does the test and always use him only since it's not a "get you out fast/sell you what you don't need kinda place". Just want to get the ball rolling, but I can hold off if need be.

You can use it... but it's not going to accurate enough to do anything toward taking control of your pool. Your CYA may very well be 128. However, it may be 300. It may be 50. Pool stores are terrible at testing for CYA unless they are the exception that actually uses the Taylor melamine based test. You won't really know what your CYA is until you test yourself (with a great kit like the TF-100). For now, I'd add about a gallon of bleach per day to keep things at bay until you get a kit.

-As for the pool itself, kinda treading water (no pun intended, well maybe a little, lol) for now. The FC has been zero for weeks now. The water is clear, perhaps a bit dull. We had some visible algae which I thought we handled, but when I brush I can see "dust" moving around so it may still be lurking. Based on numbers I got Saturday, I added dry acid yest afternoon to lower the pH (8), and liq chl (12.5%) last nite to try to up the level. We did use Tri tabs, but what remains of them will soon be dissolved. We are switching to liquid chl, and liq acid once the dry stuff is gone.

If other info is needed pls let me know. Thanks so much in advance for your time/assistance! I'm SO looking forward to getting this under control, rather than me under its spell, lol.

Congrats on taking the first step in reading Pool School and now get yourself a kit (The best money can buy: http://tftestkits.net/TF-100-Test-Kit-p4.html) and take control. Consider the SpeedStir as a great option (that once you use, you can't live without) and the XL option if you need to SLAM. You may need to but it sounds like a short one if so after you drain/refill, assuming you need to...

Thanks much for the welcome. Fairly new to MN, but enjoying it so far. Thanks also for the assistance. I'm still learning, a bit more each day. It's funny how sometimes the water can look great and not necessarily be great, and can look bad and not be as bad as it seems. I guess once all is properly balanced it becomes less of a chore. Working on getting there, lol. Thanks again!

I usually lose CYA during the winter. My first year of living with a pool, I opened it and my CYA was 100, lived with that for the summer, it was 80 when I closed it and the next spring it was 0. If your swimming season is over, I would wait until next year and see where your CYA is. If it's still high, then do a drain and re-fill.

I usually lose CYA during the winter. My first year of living with a pool, I opened it and my CYA was 100, lived with that for the summer, it was 80 when I closed it and the next spring it was 0. If your swimming season is over, I would wait until next year and see where your CYA is. If it's still high, then do a drain and re-fill.

Thanks much for the info. That is what we have decided to do; get things somewhat under control to enjoy the little bit of season left, and then punt (thought I'd use a football analogy since opening day is almost here, lol) until the spring. Draining/refilling now, and then draining again in a month doesn't make much sense. On a positive note, since we stopped using the Tri Tabs, the CYA has been going down. If that continues, then the normal closing drain/refill in the spring should get the CYA down to the 30-50 mark. It's all still a learning process, but I do know one thing in that I'm SO glad things went a bit south this season or I would have never found this site, the awesome people in it, and the outstanding info/advice. Things happen for a reason I guess. Thanks again for your input, and if you have any other advice, I'm all ears.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.