LifeTime Supporter
Aug 6, 2008
TA was 180, added acid and aerated to get PH back up

FC 3
CC 1.5
CYA 0
TA 140
PH 7.5

Not sure about the TF100 FC test, do you go by the initial color change when the drop goes in (seems to go clear then after a longer period turn back to light pink) do I need to wait longer after I swirl the tube between drops?, Also I have been running pump in evenings, about 9 hrs after adding Bleach.

Added granular CYA and thinking of using some trichlor pucks I have to keep chlorine level up while adding CYA until level is 30

Is my TA ok where it is as long as I have clear water or should I lower?

Water is clear with no CC smell but daughter complained of swimmers ear. I have been adding about 3/4 gallon of 6% bleach each night and checking ph and chlorine daily.

I would like to use the baggies of shock for convenience to shock and get rid of CC
Is it a problem using the shock 1lb bags fromWalmart and the pucks I have when your sanitizing normally with the bleach?

Welcome to TFP!

On the FAS-DPD chlorine test, you go with the initial color change. The sample will turn pink again after a minute or two, ignore that.

You will probably be alright with TA at 140. If you see that the PH is constantly increasing you can lower the TA further, but otherwise don't worry about it.

Trichlor, and some of the "shock" products, contain CYA. Other "shock" products contain calcium. As long as you are trying to raise your CYA or CH levels and keep an eye on your PH, using those products is alright. But I wouldn't recommend them for long term use.

Etek14 said:
TA was 180, added acid and aerated to get PH back up

FC 3
CC 1.5
CYA 0
TA 140
PH 7.5

Not sure about the TF100 FC test, do you go by the initial color change when the drop goes in (seems to go clear then after a longer period turn back to light pink) do I need to wait longer after I swirl the tube between drops?, Also I have been running pump in evenings, about 9 hrs after adding Bleach.
I assume you are talking about the chlorine tests. You stop counting when it turns colorless. If you let it sit it will go back to pink.

Added granular CYA and thinking of using some trichlor pucks I have to keep chlorine level up while adding CYA until level is 30
Sounds like a plan! Just test the CYA weekly until it's within range (30-50 ppm)

Is my TA ok where it is as long as I have clear water or should I lower?

Water is clear with no CC smell but daughter complained of swimmers ear. I have been adding about 3/4 gallon of 6% bleach each night and checking ph and chlorine daily.
You have 1.5 ppm CC. This indicates a water problem. Shock the pool to get rid of the CC!

I would like to use the baggies of shock for convenience to shock and get rid of CC
Is it a problem using the shock 1lb bags fromWalmart and the pucks I have when your sanitizing normally with the bleach?
Make sure the bags of shock are calcium hypochlorite and not dichlor. Dichlor will cause CYA to rise very fast. Calcium hypochlorite will cause your calcium levels to rise so you might want to test them first. If they are under about 300 ppm then you should be fine with the cal hypo for a while.

Cal Hypo is certainly convenient but it's much more expensive than using bleach. It can also cloud a pool. Since you have a vinyl pool be sure to predissolve it first in a bucket of pool water!

I've been using cal-hypo for shock lately. There's no problems using it with bleach. My calcium levels were low enough to take it. I got it on sale, so it was actually a little cheaper than bleach. One word about the convenience factor, though. Since you have to pre-dissolve it, and make sure that it doesn't get in one little pile in your pool, I've found that it's no more convenient than bleach. Put water in the bucket, put about half the cal-hypo in the bucket (more than that, it's too strong.) Let it dissolve somewhat. Pour it in, put more water in the bucket, the rest of the cal-hypo, let it dissolve, take your brush, stir where the little undissolved bits of cal-hypo settled to the bottom so that the skimmer can get it. With bleach, you have to lug it home, but you only have to pour it in front of your return slowly enough that it doesn't settle down at the bottom. So which is more convenient?!

I have also found that, for me, the 10% bleach in the gallon jugs is more convenient for daily chlorination. Since it's more concentrated, you use less. :-D

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.