Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Converting PristineBlue to TFP

1. Back To Top    #1

Question Converting PristineBlue to TFP

I'm converting our two month old pool to TFP. My test kit arrived Saturday and I ran two sets of tests last night. Pool was clear, cold at 66 degrees after 4 days of rain and no sun. It was 86 last Monday.
    FC=0
    CC=0
    PH=7.5
    TA=40
    CYA=0
    CSI=-0.39

Yesterday was the day to add all the PB stuff, so I chose it as the starting date to transition.

I added 6% bleach last night to get to FC=10.

I retested this morning, 10 hours later.
    FC=1.5 CC=3
    I only had a half gallon of 6% bleach left so I added all we had.

I'm headed to the hardware store at lunch to gather ingredients.
    More bleach to get a steady supply on hand.
    102 oz of Baking Soda
    77 oz of CYA
    DE to add to a cup to sand filter
    I'd like to add some salt for the soft feel, how much for 14,500 gallon IG Vinyl is recommended?

I have not tested copper levels, but what prompted all my research was my blonde 6 yo now has green hair. I totally bought into the pool store and followed their program, then realized I was a consumer buffoon. Do I need something special to remove copper?

My plan is to add CYA in a couple of socks to let absorb into the system. Keep FC up to 10 for the next few days, testing morning and night. My pump runs 16 hours a day, 6am-8am & 6pm-8pm at 2000 rpm to effectively skim, 1300 rpm the remainder to mix and effectively pull heat out of the solar field, we hope to get some sun this week. I tried 1000 rpm but the water from the solar field was scalding hot on sunny days so I bumped it up. I'll add the salt and baking soda tonight and tomorrow in batches through a 5 gallon bucket with holes in front of the return jet for dispersal.

Am I on the right track?

24ft dia - 14,500g - IG - Vinyl - Hayward ST-245 Sand Filter - Hayward VS 600-3000 rpm Energy Efficient 240v Pump
    (3) 4x12 Solar Innovator Panels w/ Goldline GL-235 Solar Pool Heating Controller
    Constructed June 2014

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Converting PristineBlue to TFP

Welcome to TFP!

Sorry you got off to a bad start in pool ownership.

Adding a metal sequestrant of the type recommended in the Metals in the Water and Metal Stains article will help in the short term, but it is only a temporary solution as the sequestrant needs to be added periodically. Replacing water is the only real solution.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks JohnT

I'll add sequestrant for the remainder of our season (maybe 6 more weeks) and then will be draining 50% for the winter anyway. Next spring I'll get a water hauler to refill and properly adjust into next season.

Any comment on how much salt or if it is worth it this year?

24ft dia - 14,500g - IG - Vinyl - Hayward ST-245 Sand Filter - Hayward VS 600-3000 rpm Energy Efficient 240v Pump
    (3) 4x12 Solar Innovator Panels w/ Goldline GL-235 Solar Pool Heating Controller
    Constructed June 2014

4. Back To Top    #4

Current: Singapore Previous: Clayton, Victoria, Australia

I'd say it's better to hold off the salt because you're going to drain (relatively) soon.
    Additionally, it is better to deal with the copper first before adding salt for feel.

5. Back To Top    #5

Quick Followup:
    I ordered a test kit and found the copper level is only 0.2 ppm. It took four days SLAMing and everything is testing great. I added 500 ppm salt. The water and pool feels great. Thank you to the forum for all the great information and a better way to maintain my pool.

Constructed June 2014