enough room to remove coupling o-ring at pump

ryker

Gold Supporter
May 2, 2014
Inverness Fl
my return line is leaking air at the coupling that goes into the strainer basket of the pump. it's not a big air leak, but I would like to stop it (try) by taking coupling apart and re greasing the o-ring, and then re-tightening.

the problem is, part of the coupling is mounted right to the strainer, the other screw fitting (that turns) is mounted to the return line.(coming from pool back to pump-sucking side) which in a foot and a half goes down into the ground. question is, if I separate this coupling, will I have enough wiggle room to get the o-ring out to re-grease, then back in and tighten back up. or is the pump mounted to the cement and the return coming out of the ground going to be so stiff as to make it impossible to get it apart enough.

thanks

Do you have a picture you can post? Sometimes the pump is just sitting on the concrete so you can move it. If it's leaking, I would replace the o-ring. Just adding grease isn't likely to fix it. You can take out the old one and match it up at local hardware store for a replacement for about a buck.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.