Test results inside, water slightly cloudy, should I shock?

GCS

Jul 28, 2008
Ok history is we had really bad algae about 2 weeks. I shocked and she snapped back in line but never got crystal clear. End of last week we had filter problems so I scoured locally for a sand filter setup and spent 2-3 days setting it up, running plumbing etc. During that time (Friday - Monday) there was no filter running and the water turned very clear. I wouldn't say crystal clear like I see in a lot people's pics but it was the clearest I had seen since we set it up. The filter just got online about 7pm last night and I shut it off at 11pm. It has been running all day so far today (since 8am).

Wife says the water is still a little cloudy but you can see the bottom no problem. Water is not crystal clear though. Test results are below.

FC = 2 (should be 4-6 based on my research)
CC = .5
TC = 2.5
ph = 7 (wife is adding some pH up to get this to the right level)
Total akalinity = 140
Calcium hardness = 150
CYA = 50
Salt = 1440

**We have an Intex SWG but it is not in the system at the moment as I am having "plumbing" issues with it so I simply took it out so I could get the filter running again asap.

Based on this info should I shock again or just raise the Chlorine level up to 4-6 and let it go.

Last question is will this water be safe for the family to use this w/e? (it's been 2 months since they have been able to use the pool :( )

TIA

Greg

I have found that by elevating the free chlorine level, maybe not even to shock level but above normal, clears up my pool. then I let it go back to normal range. But you should always keep it at normal range, espeically if you are prone to algae. My pool thinks about algae and it starts growing, so I have to remain diligent about my chlorine levels.

Yeah, just bring it up somewhat above normal (5-8ppm) and be sure not to let it go below 4ppm.

Run your pump 24/7 backwashing as necessary.

Brush and vacuum when you can.

It sounds like you have killed the algae but probably still have some filtering and cleaning of your pool to get all the dead stuff out. This can take more than a few days...depends on the effectiveness of your filter, pump size, brushing, and some patience.

Absolutely get in the pool and go swimming....it's as good as brushing and will probably help it clear a little faster.

Gotcha.

Hittin' Wally World on the way home for a little bleach to bump her up.

The kids will be thrilled that they are cleared for swimming!!

Hopefully this w/e I can get back out there to get the SWG back inline if I can the right darn fittings for it.

So far the Sand Filter has been a great addition as it has been motoring just fine all day today.

Thanks for the help.

Greg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.