Aug 13, 2014
Sugar Hill, GA
FC 15.5
CC 0
PH 7.4
TA 90
CH 100
CYA 140

I am brand new to the TFP site and really excited to be here! I've read through all the Getting Started pages. Up to now I have used the traditional pool store chemicals: dichlor, trichlor, etc. We currently have cloudy water with a light green tint in the deep end. Each time I brush green particles swirl up. I also have metal stains to treat at some point. My current plan is to get the stabilizer levels down to the 30-50 range with partial refills and then SLAM if I need. After the cloudiness and algae problems are resolved then I was going to address the metal stains. Is this the best plan of attack for the current situation?

We've battled water chemistry, metal stains, and algae problems all summer. Since we purchased this home, I have been going to a big name pool store and having our water tested and just had a basic kit at home. Our pool was left uncovered over the winter and I maintained it as I could, but didn't give it the attention it needed. We went through many bouts of algae treatments and come summer we once again had a green pool, but this time it wouldn't clear up. My husband went to large home store and purchased some algaecide and we did two rounds of treatments. Out of nowhere after that metal stains appeared. A problem we haven't had up to this point. I've done two rounds of metal stain treatments, but each time chlorine levels are raised again the stains reappear. Not sure where this came from since we never had the problem prior.

As our algae problems continued, the pool store tested my water repeatedly, but couldn't find the problem. I ended up hiring a pool company and the first test they did they said our stabilizers were off the charts, in excess of 200. The first thing they had us do was drain about half of our pool and refill. After the refill they said the stabilizers were still high, in excess of 100, but that we would continue to lower it with regular backwashings. Fast-forward to now and I once again have a green pool and they told me my stabilizers are now 300. I thought we were in the process of lowering them all summer, so was a bit blind-sided that we were back where we started. I'm officially ready to manage the pool myself, but am new at it and don't want to cause further problems.

I just received my Taylor K-2006C kit and my initial CYA tests exceeded 100ppm. I've been doing partial refills on my pool all weekend, dropping it just below skimmer level and refilling. After the fourth refill I tested all of my levels (see above), this time I did a split test on the CYA with part pool water and part tap water and then doubled my figure and came out with 140ppm.

Our pool has historically held onto chlorine ever since we owned it. It has never burned off the way the pool professionals told me it should, so each time they had me shock the pool the levels would stay extremely high (10+) for weeks. I would tell them this, but they were baffled. I now wonder if we've had high stabilizer readings all along that went undetected until recently.

Is this the best plan of attack for the current situation?
Yes. Get your CYA, chlorine, pH, TA and CH all where they need to be (You're close already except for CYA) and then when your pool is humming along nicely, tackle the stains.

Re-read "The ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry" up in Pool School.......particularly the consumptive nature of chlorine and how CYA affects the speed of that process.

Sounds to me like you're still using Dichlor and Trichlor. You will continue to increase your CYA with every puck of Trichlor and every bag of dichlor. You need to stop using solid chlorine immediately. Bite the bullet and drain and refill to get rid of the excess CYA before you SLAM. You can drain all but the last foot of water in the shallow end to use less water. For me, that was about 1/3rd of my 24,000 gal pool.

Sounds to me like you're still using Dichlor and Trichlor. You will continue to increase your CYA with every puck of Trichlor and every bag of dichlor. You need to stop using solid chlorine immediately. Bite the bullet and drain and refill to get rid of the excess CYA before you SLAM. You can drain all but the last foot of water in the shallow end to use less water. For me, that was about 1/3rd of my 24,000 gal pool.

I've stopped using the dichlor and trichlor now that I'm following the TFP protocol. I had been using them though and that is the cause of my stabilizer issues.

I've been doing partial refills since Saturday. I would like to waste more water at a time, but when my water drops below skimmer level it starts to pull in air and stops pumping water out. I have the diverter valve set for main drain only, but it seems to still be pulling from the skimmer side a little. I tried plugging the skimmer, but it didn't make an airtight seal evidently because once the water level dropped below skimmer level the problem started again.

I noticed you have an in-ground pool. It is not true that all pools can be drained so low. I am not an expert, but I have seen pictures where pools pop out of the ground. Apparently, certain soil conditions cause the pool to basically float and pop out. So, I am only saying for any reader that thinks their pool can be drained very low. Not all pools can and the cost can be a destroyed pool. Anyone thinking of draining their in-ground pool below half-way should ensure the soil conditions are appropriate.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.