Question about converting pool

A little about myself, I am a first time pool owner and have limited knowledge about pools. For the past two years, I have been adding tablets and liquid chlorine (when needed) to keep the pool water good. I keep my chlorine levels rather high to prevent algae growth. I also try to keep all my other chemicals inline as well. With all that said, I really want to convert my pool to a saltwater pool. A little about the pool, it is 16,275 gallons with no hot tub. Based on my research, I think I want the hayword SWG with the T15 Cell. I choose the T15, because I am hopping it will last longer than the smaller cells. Is this a fair assumption keeping in mind I will clean each of the cells the same and according to the manufacturer.

One last thought, I want to switch to a SWG system because I don't want to worry about adding tablets and liquid chlorine. I want the softer water feeling and my want my kids to not come out of the pool with burning eyes and smelling like a pool store.

Knowing all this, am I making the right decision?

Welcome to the forum! Yes you're making the right decision. SWG is a great way to reduce or even eliminate having to add chlorine.

Buuuut.... before you jump in there, you should really consider buying your own test kit and running the numbers on your pool water and post them here. Then we can really help out. Burning eyes is a Ph issue, not chlorine. Check out the info in my signature for some casual reading. Testing your own water will save you so much money and you'll probably never have to visit the pool store again.

Thanks for the feedback. I do have a Taylor test kit and test my water. Yield every week and also goto my local pool store to have the water tested. I only go to the pool store to match their numbers against mine to make sure I am doing doing/reading the test kit right.

As of this AM, my numbers are:
TC:5
FC:5
PH: 7.5
ALK: 90
CAL: 210
CYA: 100

That's why we recommend one of the test kits (see link in my signature) because they have the Chlorine FAS/DPD test which lets you test higher than 5. You can get just the FAS/DPD test if you already have everything else. http://tftestkits.net/FAS-DPD-Chlorine-CC-s-test-p47.html

Stop using the tabs, but keep them for occasional use, such as going on vacation. You can't afford to add any more CYA to the water. You can use liquid chlorine or plain bleach, they're the same stuff just different concentrations. Pool math (again, link in my signature) will tell you how much to add after you punch in your information.

Without the tabs, you'll probably need to add a little chlorine daily. That's why the salt water generator is so nice, it takes that chore out.

Please put your pool info into your signature so we can help more in the future if you have questions. Getting Started

And feel free to read up in pool school too!

I used to use tabs and my CYA is now at 60. I add about 3 jugs of bleach a week to keep my chlorine around 7-8 ppm. I bet you may have combined chlorine causing the burning eyes and smell. Please do yourself a favor and get a good test kit and then read, read and re-read pool school so you know what you need to do to keep the chemistry correct.

You will be doing yourself a favor to install a SWG as it will lessen the amount of bleach you have to purchase to keep that part of the chemicals in balance. I hate buying cases and cases of bleach to keep up with the demand.

The trade off off you will have will also be buying more muratic acid as your tablets are acidic and the SWG will also raise the pH.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.