Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: How do commercial entities manage their pools (i.e. water parks)

1. Back To Top    #1

How do commercial entities manage their pools (i.e. water parks)

I've visited six flags a few times in my area. I've been to the water park. It has quite a huge pool. I imagine millions of gallons of water. One thing I notice is the water seems pretty highly chlorinated. You can stand next to the edge of the pool and small chlorine? The only time that ever happens with my personal pool is when I'm shocking it.... They don't indicate their FC levels anywhere, do they keep their water at shock levels? Also what type of pool equipment do they use. Do they use sand filters etc..... Do they use pure chlorine gas v.s. powdered/liquid forms?
    13,500 gallon above ground round pool. Vinyl Liner. Hayward S244T 3.1 cu ft sand filter. Hayward Powerflo 1HP pump (single speed induction). HTH 6-way test kit.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: How do commercial entities manage their pools (i.e. water parks)

I wandered the same thing when I was looking at the fake river for the River Rampage at Dollywood. The chlorine smell was strong and the water wasnt clear so you know there wasnt enough in it. Also I wandered how much they would have to use to keep FC in it.
    18,000 Gallon Aboveground. Sand Filter with 2HP 2 speed Pump.

3. Back To Top    #3

The water at Canada's Wonderland is crystal clear and has no smell. How do they do it?
    12' Intex Metal Frame Pool, 1500 gallons, Intex 2800gph Sand filter/pump, AquaPro PRO1100 HP, K-2006 Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

I tried a little googling and didn't come up with much.

AOL did an "undercover" investigation on it in 2010 that was interesting to read:
    http://news.travel.aol.com/2010/08/0...ur-water-park/
    15.5K gal, concrete, 1HP AO Smith pump, Hayward C1200 cartridge filter, Zodiac T5 Duo auto cleaner, 8 panel solar heater controlled by Hayward Aqua Solar GL-235

5. Back To Top    #5

I've always wondered the same thing. I bet a lot of work gets done at night after the parks close. Would love to hear about their equipment/methods though.
    10,000 gallon in ground diamond brite, Circupool si30+, Hayward C900 cartridge, 1.5hp Flotec single speed pump

6. Back To Top    #6

I would venture to guess that the smell is not so much attributed to the amount of FC, but more because of the CC. Open a bottle of bleach and it will not have any chlorine smell, but dip your hand in the pool and it will have more of a chlorine smell than the bottle of bleach.

I would also add that much of the work is most likely done at night.
    30'x52'' AGP 21,000 Gallons
    TWM 2.64 SF Sand Filter w/ Century 1.5 HP Pump
    BBB'er for life!
    TF-100 Test Kit

7. Back To Top    #7

I did find this.

http://science.howstuffworks.com/eng...ter-slide4.htm

and this

http://goulds.com/centrifugal-pumps-...er-park-pumps/

It appears they use pretty much everything we use. With the exception that everything is on a massive scale. So their pump motor is more like 10 to 30 HP. The sand filter is almost the size of my swimming pool. They use more like 10 to 18" diameter pipe etc... I'm curious how they administer chemicals. My understanding is they use pure chlorine gas.
    13,500 gallon above ground round pool. Vinyl Liner. Hayward S244T 3.1 cu ft sand filter. Hayward Powerflo 1HP pump (single speed induction). HTH 6-way test kit.

8. Back To Top    #8

I would guess that a majority do in fact use chlorine gas. And some use SWGs as well. They also have supplemental oxidation like UV or ozone due to the higher bather loads.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

9. Back To Top    #9

Could one of you take your test kit to the water park and post results?
    14k gal IG vinyl, Jandy Flopro 1 hp up-rated, 2 spd pump, Hayward 325 sq ft cartridge filter, Circupool Si-40 SWCG

10. Back To Top    #10

Current: Singapore Previous: Clayton, Victoria, Australia

I used to work for a potable water supply/sewage treatment corporation and different locations would use either chlorine gas OR sodium hypochlorite (delivered in an iso tank/tank container) for primary sanitation.
    This was supplemented by ozone (produced by corona discharge), UV, and/or ferric chloride.

I would guess that water parks have similar systems.

11. Back To Top    #11

TFP Guide

I pondered the same thing this weekend at Kalahari water park. The kids asked me why the water tasted salty, and I had an answer! They weren't putting it in their mouth on purpose, the wave pool would get you, lol.
    26' X 52" Intex Ultra Frame. Intex Sand Filter
    26' X 52 Intex Ultra Frame Install
    You can lead a horse to (clear) water, but you can't force him to swim in it!

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by sargent View Post
    Could one of you take your test kit to the water park and post results?
    I was thinking the exact same thing. It would be interesting if the chlorine level was around 20 or so. I would also be curious if they add borates and CYA?

13. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by crimsondr View Post
    The water at Canada's Wonderland is crystal clear and has no smell. How do they do it?
    They keep it frozen!
    ~18,000 IG/Spa chlorine, Blue Granite Pebblesheen
    Hayward 1.5hp 2-speed Tri-Star Pump, 525sqft Swimclear filter, Polaris 280 cleaner
    400K BTU Heater, LED Lights, PS8 Automation
    Build thread: http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...s-Houston-area