Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Not ready for summer to be gone!

1. Back To Top    #1
    Athens, GA - USA

Not ready for summer to be gone!

This is my first pool and I have never closed before. Do I have to close? I'm in the south and don't get super hard freezes (outside temp might get down to the teens at night for about a week or so). Can I leave my above ground pool uncovered with the filter connected and just run the pump on really cold nights? I do not have a heater.

We will probably close (once the water temp drops below 60 as TFP recommends) but I just wanted to know what my options were.

Thanks in advance!
    TF-100 | 13.6k gal (24' Round) AG | Chlorine | Sand Filter | Two Speed Motor | Installed June 2014 | Last Opened April 24 2016

2. Back To Top    #2

Berks County, PA

Re: Not ready for summer to be gone!

Lucky you!! I live in PA and so the idea of leaving the pool open is not an option unfortunately. I would say that if you get very little freezing temps you don't need to totally close the pool. I'd do as you are thinking, to keep running the pump and filter. I can't imagine that your water will freeze solid like mine does. I'm sure you'll get some advice from others who live in the south. Good luck!
    12,000 gal. Anthony IG pool; 3 ft. shallow end to 6 ft. deep end; Built 1989; Renovated July 2014 using a 10-part unexposed quartz plaster aggregate of 3 S-grade Blue, 3 S-grade Gray, 2 T-grade Blue, 2 T-grade Gray; Apollo VA-52 DE Filter; Hayward SP-2607X10 Super Pump 1-HP Single Speed; Jandy AE-Ti Heat Pump; Taylor K-2006 Test Kit