Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Howdy from Texas

1. Back To Top    #1

Howdy from Texas

Hello,

I bought a house with a pool, a friend from work said "welcome to misery". My goal is to not be miserable and enjoy the pool. This website offers a simple and affordable methodology to maintaining the pool so it appeals and makes sense to me. Thanks for all the info. I have a few questions but I don't know enough to ask just yet. I'm told the screen enclosure will help with maintaining the pool but it looks like it will need maintenance as well. As of now, I'm looking forward to the challenge.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Tommy Milner
    11,200 IG Gunite built in 2002
    Cartridge Filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Howdy from Texas

Hi, welcome to TFP! The screen is nice and may help keep some dirt and leaves out, but that's about it. At this point the best investment you can make in your pool is an FAS/DPD test kit, such as a Taylor K2006 or a TF 100 . Either of these kits will allow you to do all the tests needed to maintain the pool. If you can post a current set of test results we can let you know if there is anything you should be keeping an eye on for the future. Right now the pool and porch look pretty nice! Congratulations on the new house!
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome to tfp! nice pool!
    TFP Moderator Chris V. ~16K Pool & Spa, 48NSF DE, IG Plaster Circa 2000, Intermatic PE653, Challenger pump with a 2 speed B2984, 20gal stenner chlorine injection, Houston, TX
    One cannot follow Islam and Christianity at the same time, nor can one follow pool store methods and TFP at the same time.
    Pool School -- Pool Math -- TF-Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Welcome. Pool looks nice. You rarely see those enclosures in Texas, seems like they are a Florida thing. It will keep mosquitoes and other critters out though so that is a major plus!
    ~18,000 IG/Spa chlorine, Blue Granite Pebblesheen
    Hayward 1.5hp 2-speed Tri-Star Pump, 525sqft Swimclear filter, Polaris 280 cleaner
    400K BTU Heater, LED Lights, PS8 Automation
    Build thread: http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...s-Houston-area

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks for the welcome. I ordered my Taylor K2006 and waiting for it to come in. My niece is dating a pool guy and he came by and checked it out. All he did was put a test strip in it. He said they are accurate and for him time is money. When the kit comes in I will post numbers.
    Tommy Milner
    Cartridge Filter

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by CusePool View Post
    Welcome. Pool looks nice. You rarely see those enclosures in Texas, seems like they are a Florida thing. It will keep mosquitoes and other critters out though so that is a major plus!
    There are a fair number of enclosures around here, guessing 25% for IG. When we were looking I REALLY wanted an enclosure. I wanted a cleaner pool and no mosquitoes is definitely a plus.
    Tommy Milner
    Cartridge Filter

7. Back To Top    #7

Your coworker is wrong - you'll have fun and it isn't hard at all if you are willing to put in a little time each day. Good luck!
    30' x 15' 25,000 Gallon IG Plaster Pool
    Pentair Sand Filter
    1 HP Single Speed Pump
    Coates 240V Heater
    Built 1961, refurbished 1980, 2002

8. Back To Top    #8

Welcome to TFP!

The enclosure will certainly keep leaves and other debris out as well as mosquitoes. I have one tree on the property and that's in the front yard. Nevertheless, I'm always amazed at how many leaves still manage to get into the pool.

Biggest risk to the enclosure that I see is from snow/ice buildup which is why I don't have one in DFW. However, where you are located (near the Gulf Coast) this is much less of a concern.
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.