First "real" numbers with TF-100 Kit

Where to go from here?

FC: 1-2
    PH: Over 8.2 (I'm working on this)
    TA: 120
    CYA: 30
    CH: 450
    Salt: 2800

According to pool math my goals for TA should be 60-80 for TA and 250-350 for CH and CYA 70-80

Basically every one of my parameters but salt boinked.
    13,000 gallons w/ spa (in-ground) | Plaster pool surface
    2.5HP Jandy Stealth Pump | CL580 Filter | Polaris 480 Pro w/ Halcyon Pump | 400,000 BTU Jandy LT | Jandy Aquapure 3PPM | Jandy PS4

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: First "real" numbers with TF-100 Kit

Lower the pH.
    Raise the CYA if you have a SWG and the water is clear.
    Raise the FC, which may just happen from raising the CYA since it still be more protected.
    Ignore the TA, it will drop as you balance the pH.
    CH is fine for now, no easy way to lower it.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle View Post
    Lower the pH.
    Raise the CYA if you have a SWG and the water is clear.
    Raise the FC, which may just happen from raising the CYA since it still be more protected.
    Ignore the TA, it will drop as you balance the pH.
    CH is fine for now, no easy way to lower it.

Between the last couple days I've added 40 or so ounces of MA to lower my PH I guess I'll test again tomorrow since I added more MA this morning. I'm hoping like you said my TA will drop with PH.

What do I use to raise CYA? I know it's sold as stabilizer or conditioner, but if I went to home depot what am I looking for? Also how quickly can I raise it? I have seen that CYA test results on adjustment take a week to materialize?
    2.5HP Jandy Stealth Pump | CL580 Filter | Polaris 480 Pro w/ Halcyon Pump | 400,000 BTU Jandy LT | Jandy Aquapure 3PPM | Jandy PS4

4. Back To Top    #4

You should be testing the pH again after 30 minutes and adding more acid if needed.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

5. Back To Top    #5

Ok let me re test. I didn't think that would be enough time.

6. Back To Top    #6

I suck at these color match tests.

I'd say it's somewhere between 7.5 and 7.8 now?

7. Back To Top    #7

Sure. That is not a very good background ... where is your blue sky?
    Jason, TFP Moderator

8. Back To Top    #8

It's overcast! I even brought the test inside against my white ceiling with my recessed lighting. Test seemed about the same colors to me.

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by Mindflux View Post
    Between the last couple days I've added 40 or so ounces of MA to lower my PH I guess I'll test again tomorrow since I added more MA this morning. I'm hoping like you said my TA will drop with PH.

What do I use to raise CYA? I know it's sold as stabilizer or conditioner, but if I went to home depot what am I looking for? Also how quickly can I raise it? I have seen that CYA test results on adjustment take a week to materialize?
    Do a google search for MySaltPoolStabilizer 6.5 lb bottles may be available at both Walmart or Home Depot. http://www.walmart.com/ip/My-Salt-Po....5-lb/34752155
    Locally, Walmart is a lot less expensive, but I've seen someone saying they got it at HD for less than what I paid for it. Materialize is not what I 'd say. It's there, but "might" not register on a test for a week. By squeezing the socks frequently, my addition showed on a test almost immediately ( an hour anyway)

- - - Updated - - -

or at least a white background 7.5 -7.8 has my vote too.
    Pool size: 24000gal inground Vinyl-Taylor k-2006 and k-1766 test kits and-speed stir
    Intermatic P1353ME digital timer w/freeze sensor
    CircuPool Si-45 SWCG System
    Polaris 280 vacuum/Polaris PB4-60 boost pump
    Pentair IntelliFlo VS 3hp Pump--Pentair sand filter

10. Back To Top    #10

Here's one on the white backdrop provided with the kit (some sort of cloth? not sure what it's there for?)

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by timerguy View Post
    Do a google search for MySaltPoolStabilizer 6.5 lb bottles may be available at both Walmart or Home Depot. http://www.walmart.com/ip/My-Salt-Po....5-lb/34752155
    Locally, Walmart is a lot less expensive, but I've seen someone saying they got it at HD for less than what I paid for it. Materialize is not what I 'd say. It's there, but "might" not register on a test for a week. By squeezing the socks frequently, my addition showed on a test almost immediately ( an hour anyway)

Thanks. Where do you find that in Walmart? I can't find it on Home Depot's page so I'm not going to go there and try and find it.

*Edit: Walmart.com says it's not sold in any store near me. Ugh.

Also "Squeezing the socks"? Can't you just shake it into the pool? You sock it?

11. Back To Top    #11

Problem with that pic is there's a diagonal shadow that makes the color darker. Still looks like 7.5 to 7.8 to me from the color below the darker area.
    Pool supply area. Maybe you can do a site to store? I had to for my first purchase. Home Depot doesn't show it on their website. But the did have it in my local store. Check Kmart, Menards too What's your zipcode?
    Yes, I sock it-- in front of a return jet or put a sock-full in a skimmer. I'd squeeze it/them helps make it dissolve quicker. Whatever you do, use an old hole-less Athletic sock or knee-hi though I've heard of some folks tearing one and don't broadcast it or just put it in a skimmer.
    Pool size: 24000gal inground Vinyl-Taylor k-2006 and k-1766 test kits and-speed stir

12. Back To Top    #12

Diagonal shadow? There wasn't any shadow in the second picture aside from my hand holding on the opposite side of the test.

Zip is 78660

No kmart or menards around.

13. Back To Top    #13

Looks like there's a crease from the lower left corner of the 7.5 view are through the Upper left of the 7.8 and completely darkens the whole 8.2 area.

14. Back To Top    #14

Looks like there's a crease from the lower left corner of the 7.5 view are through the Upper left of the 7.8 and completely darkens the whole 8.2 area.

I think that's just a water smudge. Or maybe refelection of my camera?

15. Back To Top    #15

I'm just seeing what I see on the pic. I use a 8.5 by 11 sheet of printer paper to see mine.
    Scotch menards or Kmart none in your area. Looks like you may be stuck with this: http://www.homedepot.com/s/pool%2520stabilzer?NCNI-5

16. Back To Top    #16

I'm just seeing what I see on the pic. I use a 8.5 by 11 sheet of printer paper to see mine.
    Scotch menards or Kmart none in your area. Looks like you may be stuck with this: http://www.homedepot.com/s/pool%2520stabilzer?NCNI-5

Fair enough. It was directly under a light from my ceiling so there's not much to cast a shadow other than itself. I still think it's 7.5 to 7.8 which I am happy with. I wish I could nail it down to just one number.

I'm using whatever pad or cloth came with the kit. I don't know what it's there for? It's white, so I used it as a background in the second pic. Maybe it was just packing material to keep the test chamber from cracking? The manual says nothing about it.

17. Back To Top    #17

That can be hard to determine-- good that you have that choice mine is between 8.0 and 7.8.

18. Back To Top    #18

My eyes tell me it's just a tick above 7.5. Home Depot sells the stabilizer for $20 and if I remember correctly, it's a 5 lb container. If you're a Veteran, you get a 10% discount, so I usually pick up any pool supplies I can there.

As was discussed in an earlier post, your TA will come down with PH adjustment, so don't worry about that too much.
    IG Pebbletec Blue Tahoe; Paddock Pool PCC 2000 pop-up; 22,275 gal 32' x 16' Diving with Auto-Fill
    Pentair 420 Cartridge filter; 3 hp VS Whisperflo Main Drain, 1 1/2 hp Whisperflo Running Pop-Ups; Jandy AquaPure 1400
    1 1/2 Whisperflo dedicated to Rock Waterfall; TF-100; Taylor K-1766; Pool Built in 1997

19. Back To Top    #19

Quote Originally Posted by Xexys View Post
    My eyes tell me it's just a tick above 7.5. Home Depot sells the stabilizer for $20 and if I remember correctly, it's a 5 lb container. If you're a Veteran, you get a 10% discount, so I usually pick up any pool supplies I can there.

As was discussed in an earlier post, your TA will come down with PH adjustment, so don't worry about that too much.
    It's 4lbs, and I picked up the same brand (HTH) at Walmart for under $16 for 4 lbs. Pool math says I need 6.5 lbs to take my CYA from 30 to 70.. so I got two containers.

20. Back To Top    #20

Good shopping. Apparently your Home Depot only has the HDX 4 lb container in stock anyhow.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast