I noticed an algae problem the other day after not being able to check the pool for three days, apparently the tube from my "bleach barrel" to my peristaltic pump had split and lost suction, all of this happens while we hit over 100 several days in a row. I made sure everything was balanced and checked my cya:
Pool was cloudy so I started the pump running 24/7 and manually poured bleach, 8%, to raise chlorine and also started brushing relentlessly. Not being sure if I had yellow or just green I shot for yellow shock level at about 24ppm. Since Friday I have added approx 9 gallons of 8% bleach? Is this normal, is there a normal? From Friday evening to Saturday morning I had a 9 ppm drop. I raised it back up 3 times on Saturday, it was very hot in Texas and we got rain. From Saturday night to this morning I dropped 7ppm. I raised it back up to 24ppm.
I should add I am using a Taylor fas dpd k2006 test kit. For maintaining the pool I only use bleach, baking soda, and muratic acid. Pool was built with an ozone generator which is still in use, it also had a mineral system and chlorine tab dispenser which are connected still but not used. Bleach is pumped using a peristaltic pump connected to a 15 gallon uline barrell connected to a check valve inserted on the return plumbing.
So my questions:
Am I slamming correctly?
Is it normal for it to take many days?
Am I adding bleach correctly? Right now in the skimmer poured very slowly and with pump on its highest setting, 3450 rpm. I also open all the returns: meaning fountains, waterfalls, etc.
Thanks in advance for your time.