Difficulty Clearing Pool after Algae Bloom

sam3x

Aug 17, 2014
Kildeer
We had a mustard algae bloom 3 weeks ago. I killed off the algae by shocking the pool with about 16lbs of dichlor. This killed all the algae and turned the water from a bright green/yellow to a flat blue. Since that time I have been unable to get the pool to completely clear. After a week the pool was better, but still extremely cloudy (I could see about 4 ft down. We have a 23,000 gallon in ground pool. CYA 90, Tot and Free chlorine are both 6.5, ph 7.5, Total Alkalinity is 147. My numbers have been essentially in this range for 2 weeks, but the water is not getting any clearer. I have tried numerous things to get the water to clear and nothing seems to work (in fact most things make the problem worse). We have used clarifier, FLOCed, and changed our filter media, but the pool stubbornly stays a flat blue color. There is a white "haze" that is visible suspended in the pool when the water is agitated after it settles over night. There is no sign of any living algae in the pool and I have been diligently watching for it's reappearance. I suspect that we have dead algae particles suspended in the pool but don't know for sure. When I FLOC'd the pool got cloudier, but nothing settled to the bottom. Any ideas for correcting this problem would be much appreciated as I am at wits end.

Scott

I am no expert and learning about this myself. I believe a picture of the pool water and I also recommend taking some water out I the pool and placing in a clear clean glass in front of a white sheet of paper to show the water clarity (2nd picture). I take pictures of objects all the time to send out for other purposes. Please post them and also what test kit are you using ? :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.