Waterlink Spin Lab & Taylor K2005 results are giving different hardness measureme

I've got a Taylor K2005 DPD test kit that I'm using to test my water.

Recently a new store opened up in town, that's using the Waterlink Spin Labs, so I gave them a try. Their Waterlink Spin Lab hardness is consistently 70-100 ppm higher than what both I and Leslies get with the Taylor kits/regents.

Today I ran a "controlled" test. I took 4 samples at the same time from the same place in my pool, in 4 samples bottles. I took one to Leslies, took 2 to two different stores using the Waterlink Spin Lab, and measured the 4th myself -- all tested within a hour of taking the 4 samples.

The 1st Waterlink Spin Lab measured 193 ppm.
The 2nd Waterlink Spin Lab measured 205 ppm -- within the tolerance of the measurment.
Leslies measured 110 ppm.
I meausred 105 ppm.

So whose is right -- me & Leslies? Or Waterlink Spin Lab?

Thank you

Re: Waterlink Spin Lab & Taylor K2005 results are giving different hardness measureme

Welcome to TFP!

We don't trust pool store testing, so I suggest you stop wasting your fuel and time and just trust your own testing.

Btw, you need to add the FAS-DPD chlorine test to have the equivalent of the kits we recommend.

Re: Waterlink Spin Lab & Taylor K2005 results are giving different hardness measureme

Thank you for welcoming me on board :)

On the plus side, the Leslie's store I used to be another local store that was acquired by Leslies. Some of the guys there are still really good and have given me consistent test results over the years.

Since my last post, I have another data point. I had a pool service guy out to check something else, and he also got a Calcium Hardness in the lower hundreds. On the other hand, a second round of test on the Waterlink Spins are still reading high hundreds/lower two hundreds. That's a rather large gap.

I really like the idea behind the Waterlink Spin but there's not a lot of stuff out there about how accurate it really is. There is that one video talking about all the things that can be done wrong, but there doesn't seem to be much about its accuracy when used right.

So for now, I'm going to trust what I guess now the ole fashion way and figure my Calcium is too low. It's a relatively new replaster that I don't want to mess up. Time to add some CaCl.

I had my pool re-plastered with pebble sheen in the spring. I initially had a CH of 130 and now three months latter I'm at 300ppm. The new plaster will increase by its self as it cures. Our PB told us not to add any CH increaser due to that fact and he was right.

They're telling me it will rise as well. Yet the Pebble Tec startup instructions say I should have it at 150ppm now & raise it to 200ppm by 28 days. That's why I'm kind of hung up on the correctness of these test results because one set is below that 150ppm target and the other set is at/above the 200ppm target.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.