TF-100 test kit

banjomarsh

Bronze Supporter
Aug 4, 2010
Pekin, Illinois
I have been using the TFP methods in caring for my pool for 4 years now and have truly had a TFP. I have been guessing at my pool chemistry except for the daily Chlorine and pH test with the inexpensive test kit. This year we have had a lot of rain and cool weather. I had started to see some green dust around the edge on the bottom of the pool. I started keeping the Cl2 level a little higher (3 to 4ppm instead of 2 to 3ppm). It was not getting worse, but it was not getting better. I decided to get the TF-100 kit and quit guessing at the levels. This is what I got this A.M.

pH-- 7.2-7.3
FC--7.5
C.C--0.5
CH--275
Alkalinity--50
CYA--45
Borate-- 30-35

I use liquid bleach/Cl2 @10% that I get from either Menards or Big R's when on sale in the spring for an average of $2 a gallon. I use Muriatic acid. I keep 1, 3" tab in a floater to help maintain the CYA level. Now with these test results, I am going to add some borax and keep the Cl2 higher and allow the pH to come up to 7.4 to 7.6 and see what happens. Also, I will keep the filter running 24 hrs for a couple of days(I usually only run it 10hrs).

I have a 24ft round vinyl pool with 150# sand filter, current temp. is 72F

My experience to date with TFP methods has been great. Chemical costs have less than $80 a year, down from $250-300 and I used to run the filter 24/7 from about June 1 to Sept. 15 and now only run it 10 to 12 hrs depending on bather load. Just about always sparkling clear.

I would recommend to brush the greeen dust with your broom, and do an OCLT to make sure you dont need to slam it.

Your FC is a little higher than recommended, (Im sure you know that though and it wont hurt anything at all). Everything looks pretty good though by your test results

Added Borax, then decided to "Slam-it". Cl2 level this evening at 16.5ppm, scrubbed/brushed the bottom and sidewalls every day for the last 4 days. Water still very clear, just a hint of some green dust, but I want it gone, not used to having any problems at all. OCLT 2.5ppm.

Added Borax, then decided to "Slam-it". Cl2 level this evening at 16.5ppm, scrubbed/brushed the bottom and sidewalls every day for the last 4 days. Water still very clear, just a hint of some green dust, but I want it gone, not used to having any problems at all. OCLT 2.5ppm.

Hopefully you adjusted your pH back down after adding the Borax. If your pH was in check, and you follow the SLAM levels precisely, you'll kill the algae. Overnight loss of 2.5ppm means you have something in the water, and you need to keep up the SLAM until you are done.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.