What is Flock?

kris77

May 27, 2014
Clarksburg, WV
In laws pool has been green for weeks. CYA is probably through the roof. They didnt want to drain and fix it properly so far into the season. Pool store sold them FLOCK. It worked for them. Pool is clear right now.

I have no idea what it is or what other problems it might cause.

Any advice?

The term is flocculant. The best way I can explain it, its a chemical that makes all of the dead algae coagulate together in clumps that look like big white flakes, instead of being suspended or precipitated, throughout the water. It can at times, make filtering the algae out of the water quicker. Be careful using it though, and check the ingredients.

Its not an algae killer, it just helps clear the water up a bit quicker.

Depending on the particular pool and situation, it can be effective, or it can be a waste of time and dollars

or it can be a waste of time and dollars
that will be the case more often than not.

That said, Flock has nothing to do with clearing a green pool. Chlorine is the ingredient you need to get your pool clear and keep it clear.

read "The ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry" up in Pool School

Oh, i know how to keep my pool clear. its been clear all season. But theirs is going downhill fast and I bet the CYA is well over 100. Pool store said they were in chlorine lock and they either had to drain or flock to clear it up. They didnt want to drain this late in the season so they chose to flock. It worked for them. All the dead algae is gone and pool is clear...or almost clear. Problems are still there but they have a clear pool now.

I just didnt know what Flock was and wanted some information form the forum.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.