Intex ultra frame and Wanda The Whale

Dan203

Sep 21, 2013
I have an 18' Intex Ultra Frame pool with a Intex 2600gph sand filter. I got sick of vacuuming the pool manually so I bought a Wanda The Whale automatic cleaner. I had tried a Diver Dave a couple years ago but at the time I only had the pump that came with the pool and it wasn't strong enough to even make it move so I returned it. However I had read that with the sand filter I'd be fine. It seems to have plenty of power, but I'm having a problem with pressure. The sand filter came with new fittings for the side of the pool that have these little pressure valves on them. When I hook Wanda up directly the valves engage and the leaf basket quickly fills with air and the pump stops working. I looked at the troubleshooting tips for Wanda and found that they sell a flow regulator that might help so I ordered one. I just got it today and I still can't get it working. With the flow regulator set to it's minimum setting I can get it to a point where it wont suck much air from the pressure valves and the pump will continue flowing, but Wanda doesn't have enough power to actually move. If I go any higher then it starts sucking air again and the pump stops working. If I cover the pressure valve on the intake with my finger then it will work but when I turn off the pump there is a huge blowback that shoots the hose from the intake. I assume that's not good.

Is there anything I can do to get this working? It seems like Wanda isn't allowing enough water to flow through her and that's what's causing the problem. But there don't seem to be any adjustments on Wanda herself. Does anyone have any experience with this that can help me out?

Thanks,
Dan

Well now I feel like an idiot. I was reading another thread about air in the pump and someone mentioned using the caps that come with the filter when vacuuming. It's been over a year since I bough the filter and I didn't remember any caps, but I broke out the box with the spare parts from the filter and sure enough there was a little bag with 2 transparent rubber caps that fit right over the pressure relief valves. I put them on, connected Wanda and off she went. And according to the gauge on the side the pressure is more then acceptable. Doh! Spent $20 on a flow regulator I didn't even need.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.