Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Aqua Rite Chlorine Generator Power Problems

1. Back To Top    #1

Aqua Rite Chlorine Generator Power Problems

TFP definitely helped me resolve my power problems with my Aqua Rite chlorine generator. I found some older posts that described my problem and pointed out a component that goes bad on the circuit board. I looked over my board and found the round, quarter-sized current limiter component and it was cracked as described in earlier posts. I ordered the part from Digi-Key (P/N 570-1062-ND). A week later it arrived and I took the board and component to the local Radio Shack store and they soldered it in for a nominal charge. I put the board back in the Aqua Rite and it immediately started up and generated chlorine. This cost less than $20 and saved me from having to buy a new board for over $200.

I do find that this box runs very hot which probably contributes to the component going bad. Has anyone found a solution to prevent the new component from going bad in a few years? I did buy a spare component but it would be nice to know a better solution. Again, I really appreciate the previous posts on this topic and hope this may help any new viewers on this topic. The solution really worked for a lot less money.

Rone
    Rone
    38k gal IG Pebble Tech; Sta-Rite S8M150 filter; IntelliFlo VS-3050 VSP; Aqua-Rite electronic chlorine generator installed in 2008 w/T15 cell; Aqua-Link RS control system; waterfall w/single speed pump; attached SPA w/remote switches. Pool built in 2001. Test using DPD kit; Polaris 360 seldom used.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Aqua Rite Chlorine Generator Power Problems

Hello Rone,
    That current limiter helps to protect the printed circuit board (pcb) against power spikes, it goes so the pcb isn't destroyed. It will take a certain amount before it is destroyed.

More reading: http://dkc1.digikey.com/us/en/tod/Am...t_NoAudio.html

Depending on your incoming power will determine the component life.
    17K Kidney Shaped Pool Concrete (Diamond Bright) Pool, 3/4 hp 2 speed 115V Sta-rite Duraglas PEA5D-180L/P2R5D-181L (Impeller C105-92PS Diffuser C1-216P), 1.5 piping, Pentair CC100 Filter , Heat Siphon 100K BTU Heat Pump Pool Heater, Flow meter Blue White Flowmeter Model No. F-30150P, Hayward Astrolight SP0581N, SWCG CalimarTitanium Edition TE45 , Dolphin Nautilus Plus with CleverClean, Lakeland Florida

3. Back To Top    #3

Well it's been about 3-months now and the Aqua-Rite has lost all power, no lights, nothing. I noticed some other posts that say this is a common problem. The component repair works fine for a month or so and then the board craps out completely. I did see there was a yellow wire burning issue and I'll check it out. This is very discouraging and I'll probably just buy a new board this time. I just want the **** thing to work. It's discouraging that we spend big bucks for this equipment and it doesn't last. I will never buy another Hayward Aqua-Rite system.
    Rone
    38k gal IG Pebble Tech; Sta-Rite S8M150 filter; IntelliFlo VS-3050 VSP; Aqua-Rite electronic chlorine generator installed in 2008 w/T15 cell; Aqua-Link RS control system; waterfall w/single speed pump; attached SPA w/remote switches. Pool built in 2001. Test using DPD kit; Polaris 360 seldom used.

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

In the Industry

Just curious, is your SWG wired for 240 or a 120 regular plug?

5. Back To Top    #5

I'm not sure what power it's wired for. The Jandy controller for all the pool equipment went bad. I called the company that installed my IntelliFlow pump and they were able to replace the board and get it covered by the warranty. This was also the builder of my pool back in 2001; Mission Pools in Escondido, CA. They have always been great to work with and I highly recommend them.

The AquaRite has been working great since the component repair.

Now the solar panels are slipping off the roof and are leaking. I went through a leak detection company to look for leaks in the pool because I've had the solar panels off 3 months. Unfortunately the Jandy check valve was bad and water went up to the solar in reverse and leaked undetected to me. Easy to fix but with a pool you never know what will be next on the gotcha list.
    Rone