Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Can algae live...

1. Back To Top    #1

Can algae live...

I have a spare set of hoses from my old pump before I installed my sand filter. Can algae live in the hoses even though they are dry and have not been used in over a year? They have a greenish tint from when my old pump failed. Just wondering in case I need them. Also, I read somewhere that cartridge filters are better than sand filters. They are not talking about the standard paper cartridge that Intex sells with their pools right?
    16x48 Intex above groud 6500 Gal. w/Krystal Clear (Intex) 16" sand filter & SWG system (2650 GPH). Two different homemade sprinklers, will post pics when I learn to use the forum better.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Tucson, AZ

Re: Can algae live...

If the hoses are dry for that long. The algae must be dead and maybe you just see stains.

Cartridges are not necessarily better than sand filters. They are different with different pluses and minuses. While they are talking about the paper type filters, the Intex versions are far too small and cheap. For Intex, the sand filters are far superior to their cartridges. But for larger pools and equipment, the bigger cart filters are preferred by some people.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!