Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Umbrella?

1. Back To Top    #1

Tucson area, AZ

I got one umbrella that was made specifically for going in a swimming pool, but the base is a little small so it is unstable. Also the umbrella is only 6' diameter. I was thinking of maybe getting another umbrella. Is it okay to put a regular market umbrella in a vinyl pool, and what sort of base should I use?
    Above ground soft side Omega pool
    20 feet diameter, 4 feet deep
    Hayward sand filter
    Hayward 1 HP Matrix pump
    Hayward Aquabug Automatic Pool Cleaner

2. Back To Top    #2

Houston, TX

Re: Umbrella?

I haven't seen an umbrella designed to go IN a pool. I have an 11 ft diameter offset umbrella that I set up on the west side of my pool. The base is huge and totally stable. It makes a significant difference in water temp since I'm blocking the West exposure. Plus, I'm pale and have a history of pre-cancerous spots on my head, so I require shade during the day while swimming. Plus, during the fall the umbrella helps deflect a lot of leaves and acorns, keeping them out of the pool.

go to and search Martha Stewart offset umbrella and you'll see samples of what I have.
    Intex UltraFrame 14'x48in - 3,900 gallons. Intex 1600 GPH combo Sand Filter/SWG Hard Plumbed w/Hayward skimmer, suction & return. Borates.
    And... 15k gallon kidney shaped gunite 1975 vintage. Hayward DE3620 filter + Hayward 750 pump.
    TF100 Test Kit | Pool School | Pool Math

3. Back To Top    #3
    Hamilton, NJ

Re: Umbrella?

We also have an umbrella over our intex. The offset ones work great!
    24' Sharkline Matrix. Coral Reef Liner. Clearwater II Cartridge Filter. Saltron Retro Salt WaterGenerator. 4x20 Ecosaver Solar Panels, Rover Jr. robot vac. Fiberglass Steps and Lifesaver pool fence/gate.

Previous pool: 9x18 intex with salt water generator and vinylworks 5x10 deck.