Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Advice on a size filter...

1. Back To Top    #1

Advice on a size filter...

We are building a new pool, about 17,000-20,000 gallons (not sure on the exact size but will be between those numbers) with a vinyl liner. The pump we will be using a 1.5 HP Hayward SP2300VSP Max-Flo VS Variable-Speed and we are wondering what size, brand etc. filter to get? We'd like to use a cartridge filter and I'll be doing the BBB method of pool maintenance as I'm a chemist and think I can handle it. Thanks for any input!!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Advice on a size filter...

Welcome to TFP!!!

For cartridge filters, the bigger the better. For a pool that size, I would suggest 250-300 sqft or bigger if you want to clean the filter less often.
    Any of the major brands are similar. You may get a longer warranty if you buy more than 3 pieces of equipment from the same manufacturer at the same time.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

My personal preference is for a cartridge filter. Better than a sand filter, but not as good as a DE filter. No backwashing necessary for a cartridge filter. As for size, get the biggest you can afford. Less frequent filter cleaning is the reason for this recommendation.

Hope this helps.
    12000 Gallon IG Plaster built 2/15/2014. Jandy 340 sg ft 127 gpm filter, Jandy 1 HP stealth pump. Circupool RJ-45 SWG (overkill). TF-100 with Speed Stir.

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks so much for the quick responses! That's why I enjoy this website! As to size, we were thinking the 200-300 ft range. It is my understanding that if we went bigger that the lower setting we'd be running the pump on most of the time wouldn't be enough to utilize the filter correctly. Am I mistaken with that thought?

5. Back To Top    #5

There is no minimum flow rate through a cartridge filter. So you can use a HUGE cartridge filter with your pump running on low with no problem. The bigger filter should actually filter a little better because the flow rate through each sqft of filter would be less.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

6. Back To Top    #6

My pool is about your size (@18k gallons) and I have a 420 sq. ft. cartridge filter and have so far cleaned it once. My plan in to clean just before starting swim season every year if all goes well.
    18K gal, Gunite, 17' x 32', Blue Granite PS, MasterTemp 400,000 BTU Heater, Pentair Intelliflo pump, Pentair cartridge filter, Pentair IC40 SWG, Easy Touch 8, Intellibrite LED lights in pool and spa, Pentair Kreepy Krauly Legend Pressure Side Cleaner

7. Back To Top    #7

One last question. I will be running all year, no shut down/winterizing, so would that have an effect on cartridge size or number of cleanings? Thanks again!!

8. Back To Top    #8

I would say a 325 sq. ft. Hayward, which is what I have. Larger is okay too. The link is the best deal I have seen on that size. You may be able to just clean once a year with this size. Maybe more frequent, depending on trees, etc.
    14k gal IG vinyl, Jandy Flopro 1 hp up-rated, 2 spd pump, Hayward 325 sq ft cartridge filter, Circupool Si-40 SWCG

9. Back To Top    #9

The minimum filter sizes I provided should be big enough for year round operation if you have low debris loads. Big is always better. Many members only clean the cartridge once a year if it is sufficiently large and proper chemistry is maintained.
    Jason, TFP Moderator