uqeqe8er.jpg
ana2umud.jpg
5unudyma.jpg
bu6e5yte.jpg
dyrerama.jpg
basemy8u.jpg
zuvypape.jpg
3u9e5epu.jpg

I really do like the rocks around the rosebush. but everything else is negotiable. We don't make a ton of money, thus the reason I keep my pool the TFP way!!, but I have been gifted 400$ to redo my backyard landscape. I do plan to put a fence around that equipment pad. Basically We bought the house a year and a half ago and planned to get around to the landscape at some point. I know TFP won't lead me wrong!

For point of commonality when refering to different things the bench is the north end of the pool.

The west side has about a 3-4' drop to the fence. in the middle of the pool decking I have tried to prevent further erosion underneath the deck by placing a bunch of broken concrete and bits as well as a rail road tie that was laying around.

Thanks for your help in advance.

Where do you live? Do you want annuals? Perennials? Attract birds, butterflies, bees?
Do you want to try to hide the storage shed?

You can do a lot with trimmer and saw. Trim the crepe myrtles into a more tree like shape. I'd take out semicircular hedge and put lower growing plants in. The hedge closes off the part of the yard between it and the pool equipment.

Move/dispose of the pile of wood. That's just a start.

Where do you live? Do you want annuals? Perennials? Attract birds, butterflies, bees?
Do you want to try to hide the storage shed?

You can do a lot with trimmer and saw. Trim the crepe myrtles into a more tree like shape. I'd take out semicircular hedge and put lower growing plants in. The hedge closes off the part of the yard between it and the pool equipment.

Move/dispose of the pile of wood. That's just a start.

Thank you for your kind reply, sorry it has taken so long to get back to you. I live in Memphis, TN. I don't have a desire or no desire to attract anything in particular.

It would be awesome to hide the storage shed.

Primarily I would like to create more privacy on the north and south ends of the pool.

I have been told that spirea grows quickly and can be made to look like a tree of sorts!

Move/Remove crepe myrtles. Maybe put them by the shed...those are some dirty, dirty trees that will drop junk in your pool from march till november. I would move them by the shed. Replace with a non-flowering shrub. trim all the stuff by the fence. Plant marigolds for annuals (fends off mosquitos) maybe a yellow jasmine on fence for color.

You might consider a long term plan. See if there are free/cheap "design you own" landscape classes at a local nursery, botanic garden or agricultural extension agency. Contact the local universities. If they offer degree in architecture, a graduate student might offer to draw up a plan for you and it go into his/her portfolio.

Generally, a yard is divided like a house--with "rooms."

Long Term:
Create the "living room" between the pool and the pool equipment. I'd put up a pergola and have the BBQ, outdoor living in that entire area- from the pool decking almost to the house. For flooring, I'd put in either a deck or pavers for future access to pool lines.

In the north part of the yard, I'd keep "yard" for pets and kids. The storage shed: sometimes the best way to make something disappear is to call attention to it. Give it a fresh coat of paint in a color that blends in better with nature or the house. I'd put up a short (4 ft) fence jutting from the southeast corner of the shed about 3 feet and then running north the length of the shed to hide those trash cans and other things that need to be stored outside. Then, I'd run a paver pathway from the pool deck to the shed, put a couple of big pots of color by the doorway to the shed. Maybe even put a window in the shed for natural light.

On the north side of the pool, I'd extend the hard surface about where you have the bench, big enough for two nice chaise lounges and an umbrella. Accent that again with big pots of color.

Those are just suggestions if it was my yard. You might have different needs altogether.

Short Term:

For $400, I'd pull out the hedges, trim up the crepe myrtles and other trees along the fence. Then, I'd see if there was free mulch anywhere. If not, I'd have mulch delivered-cheaper than bags. Then, I'd spend some money on some color. It's almost fall, mums will be available soon. A cute cushion and pillows for the bench, new cushions for the papasan chairs too. I think the bistro set is too small for the space. Put the papasan chairs together at the edge of the concrete patio with an umbrella in between. Now is a good time to buy an umbrella, end of season sales are good right now. I'd fence in the pool equipment-that can't cost too much. There is a post on TFP where someone painted theirs to look like an aquarium- cute, cute.

Privacy: If code allows, you might be able to add height to the entire fence with a lattice top. In lieu of that, a "green" fence is a good consideration. Trellis, etc.

I live in N. Central Texas, so my climate is way different. I am also a minimalist, so I like consistency in the type of mulch, color, etc. I also like plantings that serve a purpose-native and well adapted that don't require much care and attract wildlife. Others have a real knack for mixing colors and textures and a lot of design elements or yard decor, but that's not me. Also, we live in a 1950's ranch, flat roof, so geometric design influences me.

Browse DIY and home decorating sites, watch landscaping shows on HGTV. Browse Craig's list for good deals on patio furniture and decor.

Good luck and keep pics coming.

Most of your weather comes in from the West. NW in winter and SW in summer, but generally West. Open up the yard to the west to minimize organics (think leaves and seedlings from trees) from blowing into pool. As Msumoose posted, get rid of the myrtles or move them to the neighbors yard, lol. Too high maintenance. Enjoy working with your pool, don't work to enjoy it... KISS= Keep It Simple Smartie.

I am quite grateful of all the ideas. I am liking the idea of uprooting all of the crate myrtles and holly around the north end near and around the storage shed and leading upto the storage shed following the west fence line from the edge of the edging that remains from the forgotten flower bed. Of course moving these might will likely exacerbate the erosion.

To waylay this effect I think a hearty ground cover Ivy will keep the erosion at bay. Use yellow jasmine to cover the West fence maybe some other type of climbing fence cover. Maybe chicken wire to get them to climb. Add a large evergreen at the corner SW fence and at the NW corner of the fence where the crate myrtles will be.

I also like the idea of extending the fence with lattuce. There are no codes to worry about here in Memphis
Designer-Fence-with-Lattice-topper-2.jpg

This looks nice!

Remove all the azaleas on the south fence. They look horrible anyways

What goes here then?? The south.

I have also thought about eliminating the flower bed on the north end of the pool and making the grass extend all the way to the pool deck. I'd like to have something there but I just don't have a design theme I am wanting to run with. I do have the rocks in the rosebush closest to the house. I had thought about continuing that theme or dried river bed somewhere on both the north and south ends but I'm not sure where to run with this so to speak!

With a little love and trimming that could look tons better for not much money. Have you ever considered pressure washing your fence and concrete around pool? It may give it a "new" look and is something you could do with little money.
Believe it or not I pressure washed the deck around the pool last year.. but after I opened it this year the deck had quite a bit of discoloration where the tarp was. Though once I add the top to the existing fence I will certainly need to pressure wash the fence to make it look remotely decent!

I may be too late to this thread but I'll put my .02 in...the fence you have referenced is nice but remeber it is brand new. Imagine what it will look like in 4 or 5 yrs. For lil money, I would pressure wash my fence and coat it with a stain. If it's not in budget all at once do one side, back at a time. That would be my first move.

Since we're on a tight budget, i would keep everything you have. Like the others I would wait til winter and cut back all of my crepe myrtles and transplant them around the shed to hide it. Crepe Myrtles can be beautiful if they are trimmed up looking like a tree instead of an unkept overgrown bush. Lose the trash cans and the pile of wood on the back fence.

I would also think about transplanting/trimming all of those bushes along the back fence. When you do this don't create one large bed...it's just more costly and maintenance. But in everything you have to think detail. Look at this photo and look at the detail...not alot of money but clean and neat.

http://www.houzz.com/photos/6010853/van-Adelsberg-Grant-Residence-contemporary-landscape-portland

Next would be to get your lawn in shape by fertilizing or seeding next spring? Till it and seed it if there's not a whole lot of grass...can't really tell if it's overgrown with weeds or not.

Next I would get rid of that rose bush :thumbdown: The first thing you want to see when you walk out onto patio over looking a beautiful pool is some monstrosity of a rose bush? If you have to keep it move it anywhere but blocking the view of your pool....create a bed in the middle of the gravel...like a trail of a flower bed cutting right thru the middle of a rock desert. Load it up with some dwarf mondo and line it with some begonia's.

Next thing is hide your pool eq. Build a 4 ft privacy fence. cheap. And build a walk path of solid rock with those stepping stones, neatly laid out and bordered leading to your eq pad.

An always cheap great looking pop is potted plants. Think of putting them in layers from you back porch 'spilling out' to your pool. Tall to little and place them sporadically around pool deck. Potted plants are cheap and perrenials are cheap to buy but add alot of bang for your buck. Just a few tips...hope this helps.

But for the foremost, clean and detail and move those bushes! Good luck!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I may be too late to this thread ...

Thank you so much for the awesome suggestions. You are not at all to late. I am still planning on what to do.

All the suggestions are really helping me formulate a plan!!

I will certainly look into the detail on the South fence line. I like the idea of putting those small rock beds with great looking trees. The kill of the Rose bush will be a hard sell but I think you are right. Also for safely it is a great consideration... With all these ideas I may have to put this is a 3d software so see the render.

What trees might you suggest that won't shed much??

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.