Leak Detection

First post in the forum, but I have been lurking for a while. I just diagnosed and fixed my salt water chlorinator by soldering a new rush current limiter to the board, thanks to helpful posters here.

So, to the current issue. I have water leaking at a pretty good rate. It is not evaporation. It leaks when the pump is on, but does not at all when the pump is off. It stops at the level of the skimmers, but I think that is because the pump cannot get any water at that point to force it through the return lines which I believe to be the source of the leak. First off, could it be anything other than a return line. Second, is there any way that I can test the return lines.

A little info. I cannot dig to any point around my pool. The concrete on both sides where I have returns and skimmers goes up to retaining walls. One wall is above the pool grade and the other is below. I believe the concrete will have to come up to fix this issue. Also, the leak happened or became significantly worse about 1 week ago. I now have to add about 3 inches of water a day to keep up. Before a week ago, I added water every 2 weeks or so.

Thanks in advance for taking a look

The most common place for a pool leak is at the skimmer.

First, I recommend a bucket test.
http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/150-leak-detection

Try it once without the pump and once with, just to make sure your guess about it being in the plumbing is correct.

The way you test the return is to cut the lines at the equipment end, block that line off, then block off skimmers, and perform a pressure test just as plumbers do on water and gas lines.

You may find it is easier to call American Leak Detection to have them find the leak for you. It should run around $400.

I had American Leak Detection come out and hunt down a leak for me 2 months ago and it cost $325. They used inflatable plugs on the three returns and applied pressure through the pump basket without cutting any pipes. These guys had some really cool tools and methods for finding the leaks. After pressure test passed he got in the pool and before getting his air rigged up to dive he found a seam separated on a 1 week old liner. Good luck.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.