Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: High CYA, and Yellow Staining

1. Back To Top    #1

High CYA, and Yellow Staining

I am experiencing high CYA numbers, and yellow staining. I have emptied about 40% of the pool and refilled, and retested using the instruction on my test kit. Because the test kit only goes up to 100, I'm not exactly sure of the original number. When I tested the second time, after the drain and refill, the numbers did not seem to change at all. I then did some research and tested again using 1/2 pool water, and half tap water, and got 100 for the CYA. What is the suggested method for draining and refilling. Do I drain 1 foot, refill, and then test again???

The second problem is yellow staining. It is on the walls, seams of the pool, the ladder rungs, skimmer drains, and stairs. I'm assuming once I get the CYA down, and start maintaining the FC, this will clear up.............at least that is my hope!!!

We are new pool owners, just moved into the house at the end of July. The past owners used a pool service, and used the Pentair Chlorine Feeder, which I think adds CYA to the pool, if I'm not mistaken. We have turned that off, and are switching over to the TFP methods.

Here are my numbers this morning

FC 3.5
    CC .5
    Ph 7.6-7.8
    Alk 80
    CH 200
    CYA 100

Thanks for the support
    16,500, AG, Vinyl, Triton II Sand Filter, IntelliFlo VS-3050 variable speed, 2009, K-2006

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: High CYA, and Yellow Staining

Welcome to TFP!!!

Are you saying when you did the diluted CYA test that you measured 100ppm or 50ppm and doubled it? Hopefully the later. If so, you still need to replace 50% of the water to get the CYA down to 50ppm at the most.

The staining could be organic or metals. Try to see if a trichlor tablet or some vitamin C tablets lighten the stain after a few minutes.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

It was 50ppm and I doubled it. I will try the trichlor and Vit. C. We drained and are not waiting for it to refill and test again.
    thanks
    16,500, AG, Vinyl, Triton II Sand Filter, IntelliFlo VS-3050 variable speed, 2009, K-2006

4. Back To Top    #4

I had some yellow staining that I couldn't scrub off even though my water was crystal clear. I slammed the pool with 7 gallons of extra chlorine and they went away.
    23,000 gal IG Plaster 1989
    Purex Triton FNS Plus DE Filter Model FSNP 60
    1 Hp pump, Polaris 380 w/booster pump
    700 Gal Spa
    Laars Lite Heater T-F 100 Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by Bloomfield View Post
    I had some yellow staining that I couldn't scrub off even though my water was crystal clear. I slammed the pool with 7 gallons of extra chlorine and they went away.
    That is not a SLAM. SLAMing is a name for a specific process specifically created to avoid confusion resulting from use like this. All you did was add a ton of chlorine at once which we do not recommend ... especially if it was done blindly with no consideration of the FC/CYA relationship.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!