Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Buyer beware on bleach 8/15/2014

1. Back To Top    #1

Buyer beware on bleach 8/15/2014

went to Walmart to buy up on bleach Great Value. That's fine, BUT I noticed a "SPLASHLESS" type there also in Clorox. Sodium Hyperchlorite percent not listed on Splashless. Checked Clorox MSDS and it said 1-5%. Someone want to follow this making sure I'm correct? Thanks Dave G.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Buyer beware on bleach 8/15/2014

You should not use splashless anyway, regardless of the strength.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

Do not use Splashless in your pool! If you bought it from Wal-Mart, you can return it or exchange it for their Great Value plain bleach. I've made that mistake when I was in a hurry and I had no problems returning it.
    Karen
    33K IG w spa plaster, Pentair 1HP Whisperflo, DE Filter, SWG CircuPool RJ-60, Dolphin Triton Plus, Raypak Dig 336K BTU, TF-100.
    Pool Math Chlorine / CYA Chart SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain
    2017 replaster/retile

4. Back To Top    #4

What is splashless anyway, I never noticed it before

5. Back To Top    #5

Splashless has surfactants added to it to make it more viscous and splash... less. These surfactants will also cause foaming and bubbling in your pool with circulation, turbulence and aeration.
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks to all. I wanted anyone to realize what I did that there is this other bleach out there and evidently its marked not for disinfecting

7. Back To Top    #7

TFP Guide

FYI, In addition, there is also outdoor bleach and scented bleach, neither of those should used for pools.
    Karen
    33K IG w spa plaster, Pentair 1HP Whisperflo, DE Filter, SWG CircuPool RJ-60, Dolphin Triton Plus, Raypak Dig 336K BTU, TF-100.
    Pool Math Chlorine / CYA Chart SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain
    2017 replaster/retile

8. Back To Top    #8
    West Hills, CA (Los Angeles County = no water)

What about bleaches that are labeled "Germicidal?" Is that a marketing term or actually something different than "regular" bleach?
    Patrick
    Gallons = 17K / IG / Fiberglass / Filter = Hayward DE-6000 / Hayward EcoStar Variable Speed / Pentair IC40 / 1976, I believe / Shape = "Kidney Bean"
    TF-100 / SpeedStir Magnetic Stirrer / Dolphin Nautilus Pool Cleaner / Wall Whale

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by fatboy1271 View Post
    What about bleaches that are labeled "Germicidal?" Is that a marketing term or actually something different than "regular" bleach?
    All bleach is somewhat "germicidal" by nature. It kills germs. The wife uses the splashless stuff in the clothes washer. Good for there, but not the pool, as already mentioned.
    30x20 vinyl IG, Hayward SD60 with Pentair Dynamo 340219 2HP pump, Compupool CPSC24 SWG, Hayward H200FDN heater. APC automatic pool cover.
    Central Illinois

10. Back To Top    #10

I had a relative(mother in law) bring her cleaning stuff to my house . She left a gallon of spashless clorox brand in my basement. Not sure how long it was there , but the plastic jug started to leak from the bottom of the original plastic jug. Whats in the spashless that would make a plastic jug fall apart?
    25,000 gallon Inground vinyl liner , Sand filter. Southern PA USA

11. Back To Top    #11

There's nothing in the splashless that should have caused a leak. That was probably some defect already there, perhaps at a seam in the plastic damaged during shipment/handling.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"