Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Might as well close the pool!

1. Back To Top    #1

TFP Guide

Might as well close the pool!

The water temperature is 65 degrees, (thanks to a ow of 46 last night, similar tonight, too.) with no temps forecasted above 80 for at least a week here in west-central PA. Looks like there won't be much swimming around here. I will just run the pump, add a little bleach, and call it a year until I can cover it for the winter.
    26' X 52" Intex Ultra Frame. Intex Sand Filter
    26' X 52 Intex Ultra Frame Install
    You can lead a horse to (clear) water, but you can't force him to swim in it!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Might as well close the pool!

Heater not an option?
    18'x4' AG Intex Ultra Frame, 6,700 gal., assembled new 2013; Mods: Hayward EC50C90 Perflex filter & 1 h.p. PowerFlo Matrix pump, Fiber Clear cellulose D.E. substitute, Hayward H100ID1 100,000 BTU NG heater, a pair of 2'x20' Sungrabber solar heaters via the original Intex 635T pump, grey Hydro Tools through-the-wall skimmer, Confer steps/ladder system & Cover Free chemical pool cover. The Summer of Mods!

3. Back To Top    #3

Your water is not cold enough yet to fully close the pool. Although maybe you know that ...
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

I know, hence the adding a little bleach and running the pump a little bit. I am just a bit disgusted that it is mid-August and the water is below 70 degrees. It would take a week of 80+ temps to get it warm enough to enjoy. With lows in the 40's, it takes too long for the heat loss to recover. Keeping the pool covered isn't doing any good. Same thing happened last year. For some reason August isn't as hot as it used to be....,

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle View Post
    Your water is not cold enough yet to fully close the pool. Although maybe you know that ...
    Sorry I don't. Could you elaborate?
    12' Intex Metal Frame Pool, 1500 gallons, Intex 2800gph Sand filter/pump, AquaPro PRO1100 HP, K-2006 Test Kit

6. Back To Top    #6

Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by PAGirl View Post
    I know, hence the adding a little bleach and running the pump a little bit. I am just a bit disgusted that it is mid-August and the water is below 70 degrees. It would take a week of 80+ temps to get it warm enough to enjoy. With lows in the 40's, it takes too long for the heat loss to recover. Keeping the pool covered isn't doing any good. Same thing happened last year. For some reason August isn't as hot as it used to be....,
    Do you have little ones who want to swim? It's funny because the first week I had ours open in May, my kids were willing to brave just about anything to get in. Now that I have not one but two separate heat sources, they won't even stick a toe in unless it's above 82!
    18'x4' AG Intex Ultra Frame, 6,700 gal., assembled new 2013; Mods: Hayward EC50C90 Perflex filter & 1 h.p. PowerFlo Matrix pump, Fiber Clear cellulose D.E. substitute, Hayward H100ID1 100,000 BTU NG heater, a pair of 2'x20' Sungrabber solar heaters via the original Intex 635T pump, grey Hydro Tools through-the-wall skimmer, Confer steps/ladder system & Cover Free chemical pool cover. The Summer of Mods!

8. Back To Top    #8

PAGirl, I wish I could trade some of our heat for your coolness. Our water has been hitting 96. I had to take out our sprinkler/cooler because the Polaris kept hanging up on it. I know you all had a bad winter. How long was your swim season this year?
    Gunite/Plaster pool at 13k gallons. All Jandy with CL340 series cartridge filter, 1.5 HP Jandy Stealth pump. Jandy 1400 SWCG and PDA4 controller. Dual waterfalls. Polaris 280. Pool installed August 2012. Southern Louisiana. And lets not forget my trusty TF100 test kit!

9. Back To Top    #9

PAGirl. I know what you mean. Being in central PA also I just get pi$$ed watching the weather report. I am still under construction, mostly just the deck now but it has been swimmable with a ladder over the side since mid July. I can probably count how many times on one had we have been in it. It's like the year I bought a snow blower, it snowed twice.

I haven't removed the cover in over a week. Been just dropping in about two cups a day, and walking away. I will say the water hasn't gone below 80 since I filled it up. When I did my bleach dump, it said 81. I didn't think I would need a heater with the clear solar cover, when it was warm it hit 91 in a couple days. Now I am thinking I might look into it for next year.
    ~Matt~ Radiant Metric 24'x52" 14k- built into a slope. CircuPool Si-30 SWCG. Jandy 200 SqFt cartridge filter. Pentair Optiflow 2-speed 1HP pump. Wanda the Whale. TF-100 Test Kit. Hard Plumbed.
    My Build w/ lots of pics

10. Back To Top    #10

Heaters are definately worth it..My Husband heated up the pool enought to swim on Easter and hopefully we can swim till the end of September:http://www.troublefreepool.com/image...y_swimming.gif
    18 x 54 Sharkline Matrix pool. 7800 gallons.
    Pentair Optiflo 1 1/2 HP 2 speed pump
    Pentair Clean and Clear 150 Sq Ft cartridge filter
    Hayward H100ID Heater. Purchased all from Poolsupplyworld. TF-100 TEST KIT

11. Back To Top    #11

Wow, that is impressive. Heck I am just hoping to get in it at all.. haha. I will look into it for sure. I am moving my equipment pad after I close it, I'll be sure to keep space.
    ~Matt~ Radiant Metric 24'x52" 14k- built into a slope. CircuPool Si-30 SWCG. Jandy 200 SqFt cartridge filter. Pentair Optiflow 2-speed 1HP pump. Wanda the Whale. TF-100 Test Kit. Hard Plumbed.
    My Build w/ lots of pics

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by CeeElGee View Post
    Do you have little ones who want to swim? It's funny because the first week I had ours open in May, my kids were willing to brave just about anything to get in. Now that I have not one but two separate heat sources, they won't even stick a toe in unless it's above 82!
    Pre hot tub, the girls would swim in any temp. Post hot tub, they won't get in unless it's at least 82. At 82 they swim for maybe five minutes. My how a little warm water can change people. Lol
    Sharkline Reprieve 15x52 (3/14). Still using Intex 2650 Sand Filter with Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 3/4 HP pump (6/15). Solar Cover cut into strips for easy removal, (2) 2*10 Space Saver solar panels. Swim Jet HD Robot (by Aquabot) (3/15). Chlorine Liquidator (4 gal). 4 person hot tub. Hard pipe is the way to go for improved flow! Retired Lil Shark (3/15). Starite Max E Therm 333k BTU Propane Heater w/ 24 gal tank (7/15).

13. Back To Top    #13

TFP Guide

With a temp of 45 degrees right now, I wouldnt be surprised if the water was near 60.

14. Back To Top    #14

Same in The Netherlands
    We have a big party today So I have been heating up for 3 days now, but I loose at least 1 degree celcius overnight. I guess today will be the last swim of this season (perhaps a newyeasrs dive at the end of the year).
    40000 liter in ground vinyl pool with SWG : http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...he-Netherlands

15. Back To Top    #15

I'm in Michigan, PAgirl, and know what you mean about feeling a little robbed.
    I said to H last night I'd like at least one NIGHT hot enough to enjoy a moonlight swim with the torches aglow.

We DO have a heater, and have been heating it, and I still swim most mornings after working out, even though the air temps are cold. As expensive as it is to heat, I will suggest that you might get more enjoyment from your pool if you consider heating it. You just have to kind of decide if its worth it to you. Eg. Our gas BILs are roughly equal to a cold winter month with Therese kinds of temps, but I guess I feel the enjoyment, however fleeting, of that early morning swim is worth it.

I don't know about PA, but next week there's supposed to be some warming going on here
    In ground extended Grecian, 22,000 gal, Hayward 220t sand filter, vinyl liner, dolphin m4 supreme.
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!
    Helpful Links:
    GET A TEST KIT Chlorine/CYA Chart How to SLAM About Metals & Stains

16. Back To Top    #16

Agree with original poster. I am in central NY and this week has been rain rain rain and the water cooled off to 70. Might as well close it, can't wait for Labor Day, to shut it down...
    Circa 20,000 gal IGP, 12 years old, Hayward SP2607X10, 1 hp single speed pump, Hayward S244T Sand filter, vinyl liner, using Aquacheck test strips and Taylor K-2006 Test Kit, 1 skimmer, 1 bottom drain, 2 jets (near stairs and on the opposite deep end)

17. Back To Top    #17

I'm in western Pa. and we have been in the same boat with rotten weather and little swimming. Several nights have gotten down into the 40's. I do have a heater, but I hate to run it for hours to warm the water up and by the time the water is warm the sun is gone and more than likely raining. My crew won't get unless it is a nice sunny day and water around 86. Maybe next year will be better!
    30 ft. round Conquest agp, 19,800 gal; Pentair Easy Clean 1 hp DE EC60 filter system
    Hayward H250N gas heater; TF100 Test Kit
    2 Fafco 4x20 sunsaver solar bear solar panels
    Dolphin E 10 ~ Zoomerang slide
    Majestic 8000 Above-Ground Pool Step

18. Back To Top    #18

TFP Guide

It has been a very cold August and I've only been in the pool twice this month because the very cold nights. Each time I swam this month, I had to turn on the heater because my pool was in the upper 70s, brrr!

I am really bummed because I spent a fortune removing trees in July to get more sunlight, but these cold nights and cool days have been a bummer.

I think I'll put my safety cover on my pool soon to keep the leaves out and wait a few weeks longer before I close the pool.
    Karen
    33K IG w spa plaster, Pentair 1HP Whisperflo, DE Filter, SWG CircuPool RJ-60, Dolphin Triton Plus, Raypak Dig 336K BTU, TF-100.
    Pool Math Chlorine / CYA Chart SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain
    2017 replaster/retile

19. Back To Top    #19

Perhaps I shouldn't mention that it's close to 100F around here and the pool is a nice 83.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

20. Back To Top    #20

In central Illinois it has been cold and overcast as well. Definitely not a good pool summer. I usually heat at beginning of year and turn off heater and have to install fountain by July 4th to cool off. Not this year. My rule of close when the kids go back to school may happen this weekend if the weather does not warm up like it is supposed to.

30x20 vinyl IG, Hayward SD60 with Pentair Dynamo 340219 2HP pump, Compupool CPSC24 SWG, Hayward H200FDN heater. APC automatic pool cover.
    Central Illinois

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast