Good budget winter cover?

May 18, 2008
Unfortunately my pool installer hasn't come through with a cover which was a part of my original purchase. I now have to purchase my own cover it appears. I had to leave my pool pumping the whole winter last year waiting for him to give me a cover and he never came through. Anyway, I'm wondering if anyone can recommend a good anchor style cover on a budget. I get the InTheSwim catalogs and was looking at their brand covers. Any help is appreciated.

They've been around long enough that most mesh safety covers are ~ the same. If they offer a tighter 'sunblock' weave cover - I'd go with that one for a little more $. The tighter weave makes a huge difference in the cleanliness of the water in the spring!

If you paid for the cover with the pool install, why haven't you gotten it :scratch: If you have to buy and install it yourself, you are entitled to some $$ back! If you need some advice on how to install one, just ask - I'm gearing up to install another ~ 50 of them over the next few months :)

Unfortunately the guy ripped us off and skipped out without providing everything. Never got my salt system either. Anyway, thanks for the advice on the mesh. I will definitely need some advice on installation. It seems like you just have to drill holes with a masonry bit for the anchors. What else does it involve? Thanks again.

You need to drill holes for the anchors (gromits) to go into. It's placing the anchors correctly that makes the difference between a cover that is on the pool vs. a cover that will correctly cover the pool!

When it comes time for you to install yours, please post a couple of pics and I'll walk you through the installation :)

For now, enjoy the pool while you can!!, I, and others, will help with getting the cover on :wink: (if your pool has an irregular shape, let me know and I'll tell you how to properly measure it for the cover)

Waste, thanks for the help. I have a 16' x 32' with roman end steps that make the total length 36' to the end of the step. It measures 4' on each side of the steps to the outside of the pool wall meaning it is an 8' wide set of steps. Anyway, I looked at some mesh covers from InTheSwim and a regular 16x32 rectangle cover was around $579. I told them my dimensions on my roman end steps and the price jumped to $1250 dollars. I absolutely could not believe that the steps doubled the price. Ridiculous. I was wondering if I could just get a 16' x 36' rectangle cover instead of one fitted especially for roman steps. This would be long enough to cover the whole step area also. The price is around $600. Thanks again for your help.

I have been getting prices for my freeform fiberglass pool also. The estimates were around
3200$. Ridiculous of you ask me. I decided to just cover it with a rectangular mesh safety cover from in the swim. It is 699$.

I can't see any major issues with why I have to do AB measurements and buy an exact sized cover. I'm sure they will say therre are warranty issues but my friend did AB measurements for hers and got an exact cover. The springs broke the first year and they aren't going to warranty it...go figure. Thoughts???

Do these things come with instructions on how to do it? My dad is putting in in for me as my house is 1100miles away from where I live right now. I am also going to buy one for my new pool here in SC to cover for the winter just to keep junk out while we aren't swimming.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.