Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pump and Filter help!!!

1. Back To Top    #1

Pump and Filter help!!!

Hi I am a newbie to pool ownership... 18 x 48 AG round 7600 gal came with a 1 hp easy clean cartridge filter/pump combo. Needless to say the cheap pump is non effective and would like to upgrade.

Been told that a Hayward 1 HP ULTRA-PRO LX with an 18" sand filter will do the trick.

Is this a good suggestion? Or is this overkill?
    Thanks
    18 foot round AG pool 7646 gallons Seasonal with really cheap filter.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pump and Filter help!!!

Welcome to TFP!

A couple of questions first --

Is you pool a "seasonal" variety or is it a permanent install?

What brand of pump/filter combo is currently installed?

Can you post a few pictures of your set-up? This may help us help you. http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...oto-s-Tutorial

That said, the sand filter might be a good option for you.

Another question. How is the current filter set non effective? If it's the filter cartridge that is letting dirt through, you can probably find a better cart through Unicel or Filbur. Both of their websites have filter matching ability.
    15'x48" 4500 gallon Intex pool, buried 1.5 ft. Pac-Fab Dynamo 3/4 hp pump. Hayward S180T sand filter, bought used. Taylor K-2006 test kit. Rocket mass heater based wood fired pool heater.

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

Welcome to the forum
    '70s IG Vinyl 32K gal, Lazy L, Hayward SuperPump 1.5hp 120V, S240 Sand Filter W/DE
    Solar Blanket, Well Water, Borax Added, TF-100 tester. ? too cold
    1979, 275gal Conway Emerald Spa P-100-2, ES-2 Spa Pack, bromine floater, indoor
    TF-100, Best test kit - TFTestkits.net
    Please help keep the lights on, become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

Welcome to the forums.
    17K Kidney Shaped Pool Concrete (Diamond Bright) Pool, 3/4 hp 2 speed 115V Sta-rite Duraglas PEA5D-180L/P2R5D-181L (Impeller C105-92PS Diffuser C1-216P), 1.5 piping, Pentair CC100 Filter , Heat Siphon 100K BTU Heat Pump Pool Heater, Flow meter Blue White Flowmeter Model No. F-30150P, Hayward Astrolight SP0581N, SWCG CalimarTitanium Edition TE45 , Dolphin Nautilus Plus with CleverClean, Lakeland Florida

5. Back To Top    #5

Hi, I would say the pool is a seasonal one…as I can drain it and store it away… it’s soft sided. The pump was the one that came with the kit… when I saw it, I knew it was going to be a challenge … we had one similar with our much smaller pool. I’ve included a pic of the set up. I’m been reading a bit more about AG pumps that are combo Sand/Filter. it might make a better option and less expensive.
    photo 1.JPG

6. Back To Top    #6

If you go to a larger Intex sand filter, you will need to change those pool fittings to match the larger hoses. Google is your friend here.
    15'x48" 4500 gallon Intex pool, buried 1.5 ft. Pac-Fab Dynamo 3/4 hp pump. Hayward S180T sand filter, bought used. Taylor K-2006 test kit. Rocket mass heater based wood fired pool heater.

7. Back To Top    #7

Thanks! I have been using google a lot … and it does say that we either need to monkey wrench the fittings for a Krystal Clear 16” Sand/Pump combo from Intex. I also googled how to make my own solar heater with irrigation hoses… and not waste the cheap pump by using it to pump the heated water….Thanks to all those who love to share their ideas.

Believe me if there is a way to do it cheaper and still keep this pool clean and safe it’s going to happen!