Repair return cracked return line. Pool guy or plumber?

kgturner

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 5, 2014
Mobile, Alabama
Long story short, I was digging a trench in my backyard and hit the return line for my pool. On the plus side, I know where my return line is buried now. I turned the pump off and closed up my returns as best as possible to stop any further back leaking. It's just 1.5" PVC pipe. It's in the middle of the yard so there is no concrete deck or structures around it. I thought about digging out around the pipe myself and cementing a coupler in place after cutting the cracked piece out (~1/2"). However, it may be smarter pay a professional to do the job right, but should I call a plumber or an actual pool repair guy? "Seems" like it should be a relatively easy fix, but I just don't know. Anybody have any advice?

Kevin T

Plumber. You'll get better results and will likely cost less. It's totally doable DIY but maybe use the PVC cement designed for wet applications if the pipe is in a wet area or still leaking during repair. I believe it's called Red Hot Blue PVC solvent.

I'm partial to the blue Rain Or Shine PVC cement myself. Repairs can be performed to wet piping, and new joints can be pressurized in as little as three hours. I tested this claim myself on a repair I made, and the joint held after water was turned on after only three hours of curing time. Make sure to use the Purple Primer before cementing.

If you don't have any of the "stuff" necessary to do the repair, it might be cheaper to pay a plumber or a irrigation guy to do it. If you already have the "stuff", no big deal, there's lots of joints in the piping already, what's one more?

Thanks. I have Mr. Rooter working on it. I was able to get some return close off valves so the water has stopped backflowing. The plumber dug up the piping. My return is next to my intake and my power is next to that. I missed hitting the power conduit by about 4". At least I know where my pipes are now and I will never dig on that side of the yard again.

Kevin T

Since everybody likes pictures:

plumb.jpg

Plumber got it done. I didn't get a pic of the completed job, but he basically cut out a section and put a small length of pipe with some 90 degree fittings. He essential made a horseshoe that juts out to the left. I was concerned it might impact my flow, but everything seems fine. Plus, he cut out enough that no mud/dirt got pumped back into the pool. $178 lesson learned.

Kevin T

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.