Bought another house but the pool chemistry is NUTS! HELP, PLEASE!

Mar 15, 2013
Medford, Oregon
We bought another house surrounded by pine trees out in the country. Pool is old, maybe 30+ years. Apx. 23,000 gallons. Gunite.

The pH is 3.83!!!

The chlorine is well over 30ppm!!!

TA is 30
CH is 370
CYA is 150

I think the previous owner must have shocked it. I've checked it about three weeks ago and again yesterday and all is about the same.

The house water is off community wells and tests at 7.2 with a quality pH meter, but the water coming out of the hose facet from the house water is 6.2 (????). Anyway, that still doesn't account for the 3.83 current pH in the pool. Could it be the pine trees?????

I want to start using the BBB method that I have been using on my current pool in town for years with primo results but I don't know where to start.

A complete empty is out of the question as water is expensive here in those quantities.

What should I do next??

My sincere thanks for your help.

-dave-

The CYA150 probably tells the story. The previous owner probably dumped a buttload (that's a technical term) of powered shock in the pool so he wouldn't have to deal with it. The shock pushed the pH way down. What are you testing with that goes down to 3.83?

Thanks Tim5055 and JasonLion for your quick answers.

The pH meter is a Oakton pH110. Measures from -2 to 16 pH and I just calibrated at 4, 7 and 10 with new reagents.

Very astute of you to conclude the previous owner's dump of shock causing the pH to nosedive and the CYA telling that tale. This is my first "other" pool so these things do not occur to me. I'm down to a gallon of bleach a week in the summer and about 10oz of muriatic acid on occasion with my current pool.

And Mr. Lion, I was hoping not to do the water replacement, but in the back of my mind I knew it was going to be necessary. Thanks for the 'push' !

Thanks so much to you both for taking the time to help. It is greatly appreciated! :)

Best Regards,

-dave-

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.