Accidentally added to much bleach to pool

EddieO

May 5, 2012
Crestwood Ky
I just shocked my pool to a chlorine level to get rid of mustard algae. I used 7.25 bottles of bleach. My wife noticed on the bottles of bleach that it was a higher concentrate of bleach. Kind of like the new laundry detergents that use less detergent for same wash loads. Any I might have added 3 jugs to much.
Should I worry about anything?
Eddie

You haven't mentioned how you get your test results--what ARE the test results? Most everyone here using regular bleach instead of liquid chlorine is using 8.25% bleach. I'm assuming that's what your'e talking about. You don't mention where you get your bleach from either. Hope it is a bigbox such as Walmart or target whose turnover is pretty fast so the bleach doesn't get old and lose it's strength like you might find in a dollar store.

- - - Updated - - -

Shock level for mustard is 29. So if you added what I suggested you might have that would increase your FC by 28ppm. You might be in decent shape if not needing to add more.

Yes I did. That's where I found the 23.8 shock level. I meant to do that level but like I said I didn't realize the bleach was different. And I bought the bleach from Walmart. I just checked the pool and there isn't any more algae. Heck there's probably nothing living in the pool now. :tongue:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You are supposed to hold the SLAM level until you meet all three criteria to end:
Less than 1 CC
The OCLT
And clear water.

Then you take it to mustard algae level for a day or two. After that, you let the levels fall to the normal maintenance range for your CYA level. Otherwise, it will come back.

You never answered how you were getting your test results. ??

Actually, if you pass the three criteria for ending the SLAM, you don't need to raise to mustard algae level.

It's only when the SLAM isn't working as effectively as it should that you want to try the mustard algae chlorine level.

Or, if the pool is so cloudy that you can't see the bottom, that means nobody should be allowed in the pool anyway, and you can start your SLAM by targeting the mustard algae level to speed things along. Standard shock level (as related to CYA level) is safe to swim in, mustard algae shock level is not.

From pool school:

To permanently get rid of mustard algae, you first SLAM the pool normally, following the directions in How To SLAM Your Pool. Once you have completed SLAMing your pool in the standard way, raise the FC level up to the extra high mustard algae shock level for 24 hours. Use PoolMath, or see the Yel/MstrdShock column in the chart in this post, to find your mustard algae shock level.

http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/148-mustard-algae

I've shocked the pool at the mustard shock level. However I tested it today which is about day 3 after the initial shock and it has dropped from 23.8 to around 10 according to my test kit. The pool store is about 5 mins. away from my house so I might try them tomorrow. I guess I need to invest in a better test kit since my mine only test chlorine level at 10 maximum. Right now my pool is crystal clear. it hasn't looked this clear in 2 years.
Eddie

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.