Slamming Hot Tub

May 21, 2014
NJ
I have had tremendous success with the TFP method for my pool this year and was ready to convert my spa to this method. Its been a few weeks now and its been pretty good. I noticed it dropping at least 4ppm from say 8pm to 5pm the next day with no bathers. The test results are;
FC-4
CC-1-1.5
PH-7.2
TA-60
CH-120
CYA-35
Temp-98'
275 gal
I've brought the FC to 20 and recheck every two hrs or so and it falls to 15. The CC stays about 1-1.5
I'm planning to keep slamming unit it passes the CC test with .5 or less.
My question is then what about the overnight FC loss test. Should it still lose less than 1ppm or does the higher temp change that rule?
Also, the water looks crystal clear with not much of a chlorine smell.

Do you have an ozonator? With a covered spa or one not exposed to sunlight, you look at the 24 hour loss. With no ozonator, it's usually around 15-25% loss, but with an ozonator it can be 50% or more. This is because ozone reacts with chlorine. So an ozonator works well if you use the spa regularly since it oxidizes bather waste so you'd use less chlorine, but in between soaks if you don't use the spa every day or two, the chlorine loss will be higher.

On the other hand, with ozone you usually don't see such a high CC. CC is normal in the hours after a soak, but just before your next soak it shouldn't be that high. You can try doing a SLAM and yes the levels are the same as for a pool.

If you have never decontaminated your spa, then the high chlorine demand and even the CC might be from that. If that is the case, you can use Ahh-Some to remove greases, oils, and biofilm.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.