Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 3" of rain, numbers all off now

1. Back To Top    #1

3" of rain, numbers all off now

We had a storm yesterday that gave us 3" of rain! Landscape could really use it, so not a total waste.

My numbers are all off now though. I have to add my kids swam in the pool during he storm and all day today, so maybe pH is a bit high due to them and all the rain aerating the water?

CL - 3
    BR- 6
    pH - 7.8
    FC - 3.5
    CC - .5
    TA - 80
    CYA - 20
    25k Gallon IG, Vinyl liner, In Floor Cleaning System, Jacuzzi Earthworks DE 75 filter, Hayward H Series Propane Heater, TF-100 Test-Kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: 3" of rain, numbers all off now

3" of rain is only about 6% of the water in your pool (assuming 48" average). So the CH and CYA could not change by more than 6%.

What were the previous results? Was the rain water thoroughly mixed in before you took a water sample?
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

None of the numbers I understand are really way out of wack, but what is CL & BR?
    I will admit right up front I'm working on little sleep and a couple of glasses of wine.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

4. Back To Top    #4

Before the storm, which ended last night and pump ran today, we were at the numbers below.

PH - 7.5
    FC - 5.5
    Cc - 0
    Ta - 90
    Cya - 40

I thought it was the rain? Water has been holding steady for weeks now with a gallon or 2 of bleach every week is all.

Should I add the bleach and acid and baking soda like pool math is suggesting?
    25k Gallon IG, Vinyl liner, In Floor Cleaning System, Jacuzzi Earthworks DE 75 filter, Hayward H Series Propane Heater, TF-100 Test-Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

I would not raise the TA. But you should certainly keep an eye on the FC and not let the pH get any higher. Also could use some CYA too.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

6. Back To Top    #6

confused! Sorry But, 3 inches of rain should not decrease CYA by half either!
    Pool size: 24000gal inground Vinyl-Taylor k-2006 and k-1766 test kits and-speed stir
    Intermatic P1353ME digital timer w/freeze sensor
    CircuPool Si-45 SWCG System
    Polaris 280 vacuum/Polaris PB4-60 boost pump
    Pentair IntelliFlo VS 3hp Pump--Pentair sand filter

7. Back To Top    #7

Tf100.

Cya didn't double, it dropped in half.....

What should I be adding today besides some bleach?

8. Back To Top    #8

What I suggested yesterday.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

9. Back To Top    #9

Could you hold my hand a bit and tell me names of items you would add and in what qty's?

10. Back To Top    #10

Then you will not learn to fish.

The recommended pool chemicals article in Pool School tells you the chemicals to use to make adjustments and how to add them.

PoolMath will calculate the amount to add to achieve a desired target.

Post up what and how much you figure out to add and your current and target numbers and someone will check your work.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by Bostonbull View Post
    Tf100.

Cya didn't double, it dropped in half.....

What should I be adding today besides some bleach?
    We shouldn't have to be going through 82 posts to determine what your levels used to be.
    Pool size: 24000gal inground Vinyl-Taylor k-2006 and k-1766 test kits and-speed stir

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by timerguy View Post
    We shouldn't have to be going through 82 posts to determine what your levels used to be.
    Read the thread.
    Current results in post 1
    Previous results in post 4
    Jason, TFP Moderator

13. Back To Top    #13

20oz of 8% bleach
    20oz of 31.45% muriatic acid
    117oz baking soda
    67oz stabilizer (any preferred brands here?)

14. Back To Top    #14

I use mysaltpool stabilizer I found at Walmart for <$20 for a 6.5 lb bottle. They have 12lb bags of Baking soda too, and all the Great Value 8.25% bleach you could want too. For muriatic acid, I hear Home Depot has a decent price on that.

15. Back To Top    #15

Why raise the TA?
    Jason, TFP Moderator

16. Back To Top    #16

That's what pool math suggested to do.

You suggest just adding acid and bleach and that's all?

17. Back To Top    #17

PoolMath will only tell you what to add based on what YOU enter in the Now and Target columns. You have to decide what levels you want.

You need to continue to add your bleach.
    Lower the pH some if it goes above 7.8.
    And raise your CYA some to between 30-40ppm.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

18. Back To Top    #18

Re: 3&quot; of rain, numbers all off now

Not educate din my first month of pool ownership to know what I want the levels to be at. Thats why I joined the forum, to learn.

I am using the TFP option in the drop down which pre populates these figures, should I be changing them?

I understand bleach is consumable and needs to be added regularly. What I was surprised by was how the other levels have changed.

Can you walk me through, either here or in a PM, why I shouldn't be listening to what pool math is saying in this instance?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by timerguy View Post
    I use mysaltpool stabilizer I found at Walmart for <$20 for a 6.5 lb bottle. They have 12lb bags of Baking soda too, and all the Great Value 8.25% bleach you could want too. For muriatic acid, I hear Home Depot has a decent price on that.
    I looked at Home Depot and couldnt find one with an % listed on the bottle. Do you know which brand I should look for?

19. Back To Top    #19

Yes, you should be changing the Targets to what you want them to be based on the Recommended Levels: http://www.troublefreepool.com/conte...mmended-levels

Selecting the TFP option only changes the suggested goals. It does not change the numbers in the white TARGET column.

For example. The Goal for TA should show 70-90+ .... you are at 80 now. Why raise it? PoolMath will not tell you to raise it if you do not have a number > 80ppm in the TARGET column.

When you use PoolMath, enter all your current results in the NOW column and then all your desired levels in the TARGET column.

Have you read the instructions in the link at the top of PoolMath?
    Jason, TFP Moderator

20. Back To Top    #20

Those are ranges, which Pool Math has in there already. None of the links here give solid target #'s. Thats why I am asking what I should set in the right hand column? If easier to PM, email, or give me a ring I would love it! I have read all of these articles, but sometimes SHOWING a man how to fish is much more well received than EXPLAINING how to fish.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast