Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Spa Air Blower Turns Off after running a few minutes

1. Back To Top    #1

Spa Air Blower Turns Off after running a few minutes

Hi - I have a pool/spa that was completed last fall. My problem is that my blower (Silencer 1.5hp) runs for a few minutes and then stops.

Other information: the spa has 6 Waterway Poly Storm jets and is about 40' from the equipment pad. I run the VSP pump at high speed (3100 RPM) when in spa mode. I have not used the blower much until recently, so I did not know about the problem previously.

Any troubleshooting assistance would be appreciated.
    12k gal IGP/Spa, gunite, Jandy 2HP ePump VSP, Jandy CL 460 Cartridge Filter, LXI400 Heater, PebbleSheen, Polaris 280, stenner 45MPHP10 auto chorine feeder

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Spa Air Blower Turns Off after running a few minutes

Does it trip the circuit breaker ??

Have you tried to disconnect it from the system so it could just blow air out without and resistance to see if it runs OK that way ... maybe it's blowing into a restriction ??

If you can also try to see if you can turn it by hand. It should turn smoothly and freely.
    '70s IG Vinyl 32K gal, Lazy L, Hayward SuperPump 1.5hp 120V, S240 Sand Filter W/DE
    Solar Blanket, Well Water, Borax Added, TF-100 tester. ? too cold
    1979, 275gal Conway Emerald Spa P-100-2, ES-2 Spa Pack, bromine floater, indoor
    TF-100, Best test kit - TFTestkits.net
    Please help keep the lights on, become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Hi - thanks for the reply!

1) No, it does not trip the circuit breaker, it just quits blowing.

2) I disconnected from the discharge pipe and it ran longer (about 25 minutes) before it stopped working. This unit attaches to a threaded connector, which has a built-in check valve (the valve moves freely).

3) I'm not sure what you mean about it turning it by hand. This unit is constructed as a unit where the motor/impeller is not accessible. The suction and discharge from the unit appear to function normally.
    12k gal IGP/Spa, gunite, Jandy 2HP ePump VSP, Jandy CL 460 Cartridge Filter, LXI400 Heater, PebbleSheen, Polaris 280, stenner 45MPHP10 auto chorine feeder

4. Back To Top    #4

Does it make a squealing noise?
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks for the reply. No - it sounds like it is operating normally as it starts until it stops.

6. Back To Top    #6

It is probably overloaded in some way and is tripping the internal thermal limiter switch. Does it take a few minutes before it will start up again?
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

7. Back To Top    #7

Yes, but I haven't checked exactly how long. Running it without being attached to the discharge seems to indicate there is a problem with the unit?

8. Back To Top    #8

I think there is an issue with the motor in the blower. There is an extra load on the motor and it could be a bearing but it could just be really dirty on the inside. If you can take it apart and clean it, it might help.
    Mark

9. Back To Top    #9

TFP Guide

Or if it's still under warranty since it's new last fall, exchange it.
    '70s IG Vinyl 32K gal, Lazy L, Hayward SuperPump 1.5hp 120V, S240 Sand Filter W/DE
    Solar Blanket, Well Water, Borax Added, TF-100 tester. ? too cold
    1979, 275gal Conway Emerald Spa P-100-2, ES-2 Spa Pack, bromine floater, indoor
    TF-100, Best test kit - TFTestkits.net
    Please help keep the lights on, become a TFP Supporter!

10. Back To Top    #10

Ok, I will take a look to see if I can clean it, although it is in a clean area and has not been used very much. Also, I will see if I can get warranty help. Thanks!

11. Back To Top    #11

Thanks for the replies. I talked with the manufacturer and they think there is a problem with the unit, so I am sending it in for a warranty replacement. Having it shut off while not attached to the discharge line was very helpful.

12. Back To Top    #12

I had the same issue. Pool builder replaced unit with different (slower hp) and different brand. Still does the same thing. Powers off, them back on. Irritating.

Hope you have better luck. My pb is not a problem solver, therefore relationship too strained to ever fix anything.
    28,000 IG, gunite, IntelliChlor IC40 SWG with SPA,
    Intellichlor/VS Pentair
    Norman, OK