What is needed to control pool with iPad/iphone

sims1dh

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 2, 2014
marietta/ga
My builder is installing a Pro logic ps-4 with Jandy never lube valves. I have a pool spa combo and would like to be able to turn on spa with my iPhone/Ipad and adjust pool or spa temp. Is it possible to achieve this with the ps-4 and if so what equipment will I need to purchase?

Not sure what equipment you would need, but you might ask your builder. I know ours offered an app (I think from Aqualink) that you could buy where you could control your pool or spa from your phone or computer. I don't remember the cost, but it wasn't cheap. I never really entertained it since we have the handheld anyway, but I do know one of my neighbors got one with his pool.

I am not sure there is an add-on piece of equipment from Hayward that would allow this. The new OmniLogic does out of the box I believe. Or there are a lot of threads discussing the above mentioned Autelis option.

I'm doing the same thing and had to research it for my builder since he likes the AquaLogic system. In order to do this, you need the ProLogic, which I now have the PS-8 that is being installed tomorrow. He is also putting in the Aquapod (from the beginning), so he needed to buy the base antenna. If you do not have an Aquapod, you will need to purchase the base antenna which is part number AQL2-BASE-RF. To make your iPhone/iPad/Computer work, you will need to also purchase the AquaConnect Home Network Device which will talk to the base antenna. It is connected to your router inside the house. The part number for the AquaConnect Home Network Device is AQ-CO-HOMENET. You also need to have version 4.20 software or above in your controller.

This is my understanding of what I need but I would still recommend giving Hayward a call before you start buying things… Number is (908) 355-7995. Good luck! :goodjob:

Ah ... forgot about the AquaConnect. I think that is fairly new.

FYI, I have the P4 ProLogic which is the same as the AquaLogic. I agree that I think you might need the PS4/8/etc which has added features.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
What was required to use the aquaconnect? I have a prologic now.
So I'd need the base antenna and their home network device?

Is a subscription to their service needed? Or is that for away from home access?

What was required to use the aquaconnect? I have a prologic now.
So I'd need the base antenna and their home network device?

Is a subscription to their service needed? Or is that for away from home access?

Yes on the base antenna and the network device. It hooks up to your router. There was a charge sometime ago for a subscription to use the web services, like away from home, but it appears to be all free now. I can access it from anywhere and I have not been charged anything nor asked for a credit card. I probably would not pay a subscription fee if there was one but it is free now…

Make sure you have the correct firmware on your ProLogic. I was not worried because my pool was just built so the controller is fresh as can be.

Yes on the base antenna and the network device. It hooks up to your router. There was a charge sometime ago for a subscription to use the web services, like away from home, but it appears to be all free now. I can access it from anywhere and I have not been charged anything nor asked for a credit card. I probably would not pay a subscription fee if there was one but it is free now...

Thanks! That's what I wanted to know. If I had to get a subscription or not.

You have any issues with the iPhone app? The reviews state you have to constantly sign in, and that the delay can be long

Thanks! That's what I wanted to know. If I had to get a subscription or not.

You have any issues with the iPhone app? The reviews state you have to constantly sign in, and that the delay can be long

You do have to sign in each time on the app if you sign out. I would not leave it open anyway in case you butt dial your pump. Lol. I have not tried leaving the app open. I'm sure there is another app the phone that would enter your information for you but I don't think it is a big deal. As far as the speed, I have not noticed a delay. My function start probably a second after I hit the button. 2 seconds max. I think the web interface from your desktop is slower if you are scrolling through the menu items. As far as turning things on and off, both are quick. I've seen a few bad reviews but I am not experiencing any problems yet whatsoever.

I also have the Hayward Prologic/Aquapod/network adapter setup. Honestly, I don't use the phone controls that much other than to turn on the spa before heading home from work. The Aquapod simply works better and is more convenient for use at home. The app is basically just a "port" of the aquapod interface (which is itself a "port" of the interface on the pool control box), and does not take advantage of many of the available interface advantages of a smartphone over the relatively antique Aquapod. There can be some delay related to routing the commands through a central internet server, but the Hayward rep showed me how to just type in or bookmark the IP address for the Hayward equipment which allows for smartphone control without an internet connection while in your house, and with less delay. There is no added functionality of the smartphone control aside from being able to control the system remotely (from anywhere you have an internet connection). Aside from its limitations, the only issue I have with the network/phone control system is that I have to "re-teach" the network/router sync every single time the power goes off. So if the power flickered while you were at work - no hot spa for you when you get home...

I currently don't have any remotes and my pool equipment is 100 ft from my pool. The remotes are so expensive that I found this to be an cheaper option. Now anyone with a smart phone can control the pool. It does have a lag. I Also travel a lot so this will be great to check on things when I'm out of town. I have a camera overlooking my pool, so if I need to shut things off this will be a great tool to have. I would like to have some keypads that would allow me to control things from locations around the house but 300 bucks each is way to much for me.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.