Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Added borates and the pool is still green

1. Back To Top    #1

Added borates and the pool is still green

I moved your post to a location that will get some traction. Please start a new thread with questions rather than using an existing one. - Karmabiker

Well I joined to comment, I tried the borax treatment yesterday late around 7pm and my PH may have been a tad high, I put MA in to lower it before I boraxed it, I did not have a lot of chlorine in it and my TA was was just under 80.

It was still kinda green this morning, should I shock it or let it go?

Thanks!
    Last edited by karmabiker; 08-14-2014 at 03:06 PM. Reason: Moved to a new thread

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Added borates and the pool is still green

Welcome to TFP!!!

I am not sure why you are equating adding borates to removing the green from your water ... they do not do that. They do have some ability to help prevent algae from starting, but if you are constantly letting the FC get way too low for your CYA, you are doomed to algae with or without the borates.

If you have algae, you need to follow the ShockLevelAndMAINTAIN Process to clear it up and doing so requires one of the Recommended Test Kits.

How much Pool School have you read? Start with these:
    ABCs of Water Chemistry
    Recommended Pool Chemicals
    How to Chlorinate Your Pool
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Yes well i posted this in the Borax section for that feedback, a Mod moved it, I read all the other posts, and simply wanted input on the Borax thread.
    My pool is coming around, seems like i am Borax convert.

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

My first suggestion is that you read "The ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry" up in Pool School. You have a basic misunderstanding of Pool Water Chemistry and need to get back firmly grounded on just what it is that keeps a pool crystal clear. It is not borates.

I know I sound harsh but the sooner we can get your chem knowledge up to speed the sooner we can get you a crystal clear pool.

All of us started at the same place and you will find a ton of people here to help you
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School