Pool seems to hum, but wont kick on

BryanS

Aug 14, 2014
Manchester, NJ
Let me just first of say that I don't know much about pools, so really any help would be much appreciated.

So we're renting a house, and we're trying to get the in-ground pool up and running. The people before us didn't use the pool at all, so it's been inactive for about two years. Anyway, we took the cover off,
got some of the junk out and added shock to clear up the greenness of the pool. We also ran water through all the pipes to make sure they weren't clogged up; they all seemed to be fine.

(The pump/filter is a Hayward Pro Series and Super Pump.)

We then tried to get the pump up and running to filter out the pool. The first time we turned it on it just kept on humming. We tried the different modes on the filter (Recirculate, backwash, waste, etc.) None of them
seemed to make a difference and the pump still didn't kick on. One time it hummed for a few seconds and then tripped the breaker. So, we took apart the pump and noticed that the impeller was separated from the rest of the axle. We went and got a new one and a new seal. Put it together, and still no go. We noticed that when the pump was on the impeller did spin and wasn't jammed. We then figured that it might not be getting enough juice, so we replaced the capacitor. Still no go. Pool hums but won't actually start up. The pump seems to be working because it's kicking water into the basket and the impeller does turn, but it still doesn't kick on.

Like I said, I don't know a ton about pools so maybe there is something I'm doing wrong? I'm not sure. Any help or insight would be fantastic. Thanks guys :)

Sounds like the motor may be shot. Get a rebuilt for less than $200, also replace the shaft seal.
Should be good to go.
Could you post a picture of the motor tag. Not sure if it has a start and run cap or a switch that might have dirty contacts.

Just to be sure you have a Hayward Superpump C-face threaded shaft 56J motor? Need to know the HP of the motor.

If the pump is turning, but you can't seem to get water to flow into the pump, you need to start by priming the pump. Open the pump lid, and pour water into the pump. Make sure the pump lid gasket is in good shape and making a good seal when you close it. If it still won't prime, you might have an air leak in one of the suction lines.

Thanks for the welcomes! I'll be sure to check out the Pool School link. Also, I did check out that thread on starting issues @bobodaclown. Thanks!

I also did replace the shaft seal when we put the new impeller/shaft on, and we did prime the pump. I'll have to go out a bit later and check the pump lid gasket.
I'll also try to post a picture of the pump/motor tag for you.

Thanks guys :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.