Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Stained and pockmarked pool surface

1. Back To Top    #1

Stained and pockmarked pool surface

Our pool has some brownish stained areas, and many spots and areas around the pool that are rougher (like sandpaper) or marked like the surface was chipped or eaten away by something, where you can see something dark like a black spot underneath. Functionally it isn't causing leaks or cracks, but algae clings to these spots more than other surfaces and makes it hard to clean. We are finishing up our first SLAM and these are the places I am having the most trouble ridding of algae. My pool is old and we have only owned it a year, so I don't know if it has ever been resurfaced. My question is, what are the best options for getting rid of these spots? I know that we could have it resurfaced in plaster/gunite whatever its called. Other than that are there any good options? Any idea what would be most cost effective?
    Java - Learning that an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure!- Houston Tx - 22,000 gallon IG gunite pool running a DE Hayward filter DE-4800 (48SQFT 96 GPM), Hayward Vari-flo multi-port valve 715XR60, Pump - Century Centurion 0-177215-04 1hp. Polaris 9400 Sport Robotic Pool Cleaner. 1 skimmer, 1 main drain, a pool light, diving board. Age of pool &equipment unknown, pool age est. ~ 20-30 yrs, equipment probably newer.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Stained and pockmarked pool surface

The ideal solution is getting the pool replastered to fix the rough spots. {Gunite is the underlying concrete that makes up the pool structure}.

Beyond that I do not think there are good ways to patch the pool, so you just have to deal with the roughness.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Well that's a bummer. I guess we will just have to budget for a re-plaster in our future. Thanks
    Java - Learning that an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure!- Houston Tx - 22,000 gallon IG gunite pool running a DE Hayward filter DE-4800 (48SQFT 96 GPM), Hayward Vari-flo multi-port valve 715XR60, Pump - Century Centurion 0-177215-04 1hp. Polaris 9400 Sport Robotic Pool Cleaner. 1 skimmer, 1 main drain, a pool light, diving board. Age of pool &equipment unknown, pool age est. ~ 20-30 yrs, equipment probably newer.

4. Back To Top    #4

I'm in the same boat. Start your homework now so you have a good plaster co lined up when you decide to pull the trigger. I'm in Houston and have been looking for a year.

Thought I had one ... Never got the quote after they came out. Lookup things like bicarbonate startup vs acid start ( you want bicarbonate). It's as much or more reading than pool school. Kim ( user onbalance) is the uber expert in plaster.
    TFP Moderator Chris V. ~16K Pool & Spa, 48NSF DE, IG Plaster Circa 2000, Intermatic PE653, Challenger pump with a 2 speed B2984, 20gal stenner chlorine injection, Houston, TX
    One cannot follow Islam and Christianity at the same time, nor can one follow pool store methods and TFP at the same time.
    Pool School -- Pool Math -- TF-Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

Don't get me wrong, if there are just a few rough spots, you may be able to apply a patch to be smoother, but it may not match very well. And if you are going to go through the effort of draining and then having to fill and rebalance ... may as well do it right, right?
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

6. Back To Top    #6

Jblizzle, Yeah, if I am going to bother with it, i want the whole thing done right. Besides it more than a few spots, its scattered around the pool. I figure when we do it, we may go ahead and do the deck, coping and mastic joint as well. Its just going to be awhile. I was hoping to find something that might hold us over for a year or two. Karmabiker (love the handle by the way), if you find one you like, let me know. Pearland is so close, many contractors do both areas. thanks for the advice, I'll start looking that info up.