Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: SWG vs non SWG

1. Back To Top    #1

SWG vs non SWG

Hello....new to the forum (loving it) and soon to be new pool owner.

We have narrowed down our bids to 3 PB in the Austin area. The one item which we have received widely varying opinions is whether to have a SWG system. He have loved our friends pools which have SWG. We plan to have flagstone coping. Long term effects on flagstone and equipment?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: SWG vs non SWG

Welcome to TFP!!!

Generally best to choose either nature stone or a SWG, not both. Some claim to have no issues with both, but some have the stone falling apart in only a few years (especially the soft flagstone everyone in TX seems to use) ... sealing might help.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Effects on equipment, not really. Just the Texas flagstone ive heard issues with. I'd pick one or the other.
    45'x12' 17k gal, IG plaster, Pool Pilot Nano+ SWG, 1/2hp Whisperflo pump, PAC-FAB TA-60D sand filter, Raypak 266 heater
    Pool School + Test Kit + Pool Math = Trouble Free Pool

4. Back To Top    #4

I wouldn't do flagstone with a SWG pool. I've seen erosion and white flaking on friend's salt pool with flagstone. We are building a SWG pool too so nothing against that, I would just choose a different stone.
    21k gal IG, SWG, WetEdge Satin Matrix Antigua in pool, Primera Stone Tahoe Coast in spa, 430 sq ft cartridge filter, 2.7 HP variable speed pump, infloor cleaner

Our build:
    http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...c-Houston-pool

5. Back To Top    #5

I've researched this until I'm blue in the face. It is amazing how varying the opinions can be between PBs. One says, "It will kill your unborn child...." and the other say, "I drink SWG water with my dinner." Maybe that is an overstatement, but you get the drift.

We are having a ton of flagstone in our build and so we're staying away from SWG as much as we initially wanted it. I've read opinions from others that say they've had SWG pools with flagstone and have had no problems after 10 years, but I guess I'm just overly cautious.

6. Back To Top    #6

I did both flagstone and swg. If I could only choose one or the other, I would choose a SWG. It make maintenance and water balancing so easy.

7. Back To Top    #7

We did travertine when we built our pool and have had no problems with scaling or flaking in two years. We had ours sealed. I have read about problems with flagstone. There was a post recently that had images of some seriously damaged flagstone. Have you thought about a different type of stone? I would not give up my SWCG for anything. It makes pool maintenance way too easy for me.
    Gunite/Plaster pool at 13k gallons. All Jandy with CL340 series cartridge filter, 1.5 HP Jandy Stealth pump. Jandy 1400 SWCG and PDA4 controller. Dual waterfalls. Polaris 280. Pool installed August 2012. Southern Louisiana. And lets not forget my trusty TF100 test kit!

8. Back To Top    #8

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. If it weren't for my SWG, I would fill in my pool.

I'm betting flagstone won't always be the in thing, and I love my 1950's tile.
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

9. Back To Top    #9

TFP Guide

The SWG will make your life and pool time much easier. Flagstone could turn out to be the gold and avocado of the 2010s. But ... it's a personal choice and if you really want the flagstone and you think the design is to die for doing bleach isn't that much work especially if you haven't had a SWG before.
    Maybe you could look into stamped and or colored concrete to achieve a stunning look that you know wouldn't be affected by the SWG.
    Your money, your pool, your choice.

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry for my poor manners, welcome to the forum
    Attached Images Attached Images
    '70s IG Vinyl 32K gal, Lazy L, Hayward SuperPump 1.5hp 120V, S240 Sand Filter W/DE
    Solar Blanket, Well Water, Borax Added, TF-100 tester. ? too cold
    1979, 275gal Conway Emerald Spa P-100-2, ES-2 Spa Pack, bromine floater, indoor
    TF-100, Best test kit - TFTestkits.net
    Please help keep the lights on, become a TFP Supporter!

10. Back To Top    #10

We went with flagstone coping and a rock water feature, both of which every contractor who gave us a bid said would be negatively affected by the saltwater. We elected to go with chlorine and keep the natural stone because we were really going after a natural look with our pool to fit in to the surrounding elements. That said, I was really on the fence between salt and chlorine anyway so it was an easy choice. Your mileage may vary.
    14,700 IG chlorine, NPT mini pebble Midnight Blue built 7/14
    Jandy cartridge filter, 2.0 HP Jandy E-pump variable speed
    Taylor K-2005C test kit
    15' weeping wall water feature, Jandy LED, Polaris 3900 Sport cleaner
    Aqualink PDA

11. Back To Top    #11

We are in DFW with saltwater and flagstone. Gasp!
    3 years in and we would absolutely positively do it again. Some of our flagstone is exactly the same, some is eroding a little, some is flaking a little. Nothing is happening to the flagstone that makes me think it won't last 20 or 40 more years. Even after the 9 degree polar vortex last winter that blew up all our faucets and sprinklers and froze our pool equipment. We also have a rock waterfall and nothing is sealed cuz that takes extra work!

12. Back To Top    #12

It really is hit or miss like others have said. I personally would pick one or the other. Another option is start out with a stenner pump. Once it is dialed in the daily maintenance is on par with a SWG.
    17500 gallon Doughboy AGP, Hayward DE filter, waiting for the 1.5hp DB pump to go out.
    Learn to take the advice here and be trouble free or use the pool store's advice. "You can't do both and get very far"

13. Back To Top    #13

Thank you for all the replies. It gives us something to think about.

14. Back To Top    #14

Quote Originally Posted by pooldv View Post
    We are in DFW with saltwater and flagstone. Gasp!
    3 years in and we would absolutely positively do it again. Some of our flagstone is exactly the same, some is eroding a little, some is flaking a little. Nothing is happening to the flagstone that makes me think it won't last 20 or 40 more years. Even after the 9 degree polar vortex last winter that blew up all our faucets and sprinklers and froze our pool equipment. We also have a rock waterfall and nothing is sealed cuz that takes extra work!

We we have an Arizona red flagstone that has been flaking and pitting for a while. Had a hail storm this past spring that really beat it up, knocked loose all the flaky parts. This was all with regular fresh water and chlorination. After that I just switched to a swg because I got tired of adding bleach and I won't be looking back. Also figured my rock is already falling apart might as well enjoy salt water.

While I agree that salt can be a little harder on natural rock I think a lot of the problems are just the nature of the stone.
    ~15K gal, IG gunite with new Wetedge Satin Matrix Pebble Finish installed mid 04/14, 1 HP Pentair Challanger pump, Sta-rite System 3 300 sqft cartridge filter, G3 cleaner

15. Back To Top    #15

I'm in the Houston area, and have had my pool just over a year. Due to all the information I read about flagstone issues (mostly Oklahoma, and other soft flagstones) and SWG's, I went ahead and used a quartzite stone coping which turns out to be an extremely hard stone. I actually had a couple of the coping stones (bullnose edge, 12" x 24") have a top layer flake off while the pool was still in opening mode (< 1 week from filling) which meant that salt had nothing to do with it since I did not add salt for the first 30 days! I think that is just due to the variation in natural stone. I did not want to worry about sealing (since I know I would get lazy!), or anything else. So far I have zero complaints and love my SWG and stone coping. I am very careful to keep the salt on the low end of the recommended concentration (@3,200 ppm) just to minimize any potential issues.
    18K gal, Gunite, 17' x 32', Blue Granite PS, MasterTemp 400,000 BTU Heater, Pentair Intelliflo pump, Pentair cartridge filter, Pentair IC40 SWG, Easy Touch 8, Intellibrite LED lights in pool and spa, Pentair Kreepy Krauly Legend Pressure Side Cleaner

16. Back To Top    #16

We LOVE our SWG but we have pavers so the stone concern is not a worry for us....
    18k: IG: Black Granite Liner: Aspen: 16x33.5: SWG: Polaris 280

My pool build new-pool-build-in-nh-t60957.html

17. Back To Top    #17

Colorado stone and SWG have been a bad mix for us. Years 1-3 not much. In year 6 now and I would not do it again.

I will have to replace all of the coping in a couple of years.

I'm in Austin.

16,000g in-ground plaster pool, attached spa, BBB, DE Filter, SWG